avacodos

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
any one ever start one from the seed. I thought I might like to try it but I'm not sure how to do it. Any suggestions?

Kya D

We always used to start they from the pit (or seed)
The way I did it was put 3 tooth picks in so it would hold the pit in the vase we were trying to root it in. Keep the water level up and in several weeks you have a nice avacado started
I'm sure that someone else will be able to explain it better

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
That sounds like what I was thinking. I was just going to try that again. I have not done this since my children were little.

SandiB

I have just stuck a pit in dirt (watering of course) & it sprouted, grew about a foot or so. Also have tried the water & tooth pick method. Neither survived very long in my Ohio but were pretty while they lasted....
GOOD LUCK!

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
you want 1/3 in the water...the fatter end...the roots will begin first...but it will take a bit of time...then the splitting will bring on a shoot...once the stem gets about 4 inches i pinch off the first set of leaf to get it to branch out...and keep doing as it branches out...when you pot up the roots like to be snug amd don't plant any lower than you had it in the water...
we planted several through the years...there are two trees at my mom's old house we planted as kids

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
You all are amazing friends. I like being able to ask you anything. My pineapple plant died this winter. I didn't have room in the house and we had the coldest winter in 30 years here. I lost several things but saved some. I will replant some things when I get home from Paris. Right now I'm saving all my pennies to go to Paris.

plant54

lynpenny To bad about your pineapple. I found giving many plants and container tree's bottom heat a big help in the cooler times. A good fast flowing soil mix also helps.

cycle1667

I haven't thought about this in years, this will be a great project for my 4 year old. How did you get the trees to survive in OR?

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
What part of Oregon do you live in? I live just outside Newberg in Yamhill County.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
They pretty much won't grow outdoors unless you are tropical. When I lived in the keys I had a 40 tree in my yard. We would go to the second floor and hang out the windows to pick them. They fall to the ground when a little past ripe and the wasp and bees love them. I trid growing one in a pot here in NE Fla and I had it for years until it got too big to bring in side during the winter. They are fun fast growers. Good Luck;)

Scarez

I've got a pit started in my kitchen, and the root is
about an inch long!

Any ideas on how lon to wait before she needs soil?

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have seen avocados sitting on our window sill like that many times but I don't think one has ever made it to earth.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com