Blue Flowers

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Garby

My dad has red-green colorblindness, meaning that blue is the only color he can see. I recently went on a trip to North Carolina with him and he kept mentioning how beautiful all the blue flowers that grew there were. We're building a cabin in Park Rapids, MN, which is in zone 3a, and for my Dad's birthday I would like to plant him a garden of blue flowers. What flowers would you reccomend to grow there? Most of our land is under full shade, although a partial sun area would be possible too.

Kya D

Welcome to our yard please stay and play, now for an answer
hardy to zone 3

some cranesbill are blue
Lewis' Blue Flax, Lewis' Prairie Flax
Blue Giant Crested Wood Iris
Delphinium - Magic Fountains
Chinese Delphinium,
Scabiosa
Blue cardinal flower
Aster
There are a few but can he see white if so you could mix some whites like shastas with the blues
Hope these help

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Garby,
Welcome!
Those are great suggestions.
On of my planning chores when choosing a specific color, is to go to the garden center and see what is in bloom. I will do this sevral times a season to insure I have constant blooms. You garden center will be able to advise you on what is right for your zone and when infact it will bloom and how long. ;) that is very kind of you to take your dad into consideration.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Campanula
Stoke's Aster
Ageratum
Anchusa
Viola cornuta varieties
Perovskia - Russian Sage
Lupines
Tradescantia
Jasione

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com