Can You Tell Me What This Plant Is?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

OurGardenGate.com

It was already growing in our yard when we bought the house in 2009. It looks like a little tropical plant growing here in zone 5b/6a.
It has small, insignificant blooms on long this stems.
I'm trying to upload a photo but I'm not sure I was successful.

Any ideas on this plant would be appreciated. So happy to have found this forum.

Attachments

• IMG_0611.jpg
    IMG_0611.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 302
Re: your question..

Hi there...

Basing on the leaves of the plant, I believe it is a papyrus plant. You know the plant that also grows on the banks of the Nile River in Egypt? Does this also bloom with a hairy kind of flower or something?

Glad to help... :)

Welcome welcome to you.
It is so good to see someone from my neck of the woods. I live in west central Utah right on the NV state line.
I don't know what kind of plant you have there but someone here will no doubt be able to help you.

Thanks for all the help. It's not so big as the papyrus plant and not nearly so feathery, but thanks for the suggestion. It gave me another avenue to explore.
It does look like the helleborus . The sections on the leaves are wider and they seem thicker and heavy. It only has gotten about 18" tall and I think that it is at least 4 years old. It's a tough little plant.

We live north of Salt Lake in Bountiful. I'm surprised by your zone. Somehow I thought you'd be warmer there. Is it the elevation? We are only at 4800' here.

Photo Upload Test

I thought I'd check it out to see if I could actually do it. Thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_0855.jpg
    IMG_0855.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0865.jpg
    IMG_0865.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 275
Editing photo problem

I tried to upload a third one and it was kicked out. I still couldn't find where to edit it down to a smaller size.
I'm trying to re-size it again to see if this works. Sorry to take up so much space and time while I learn this.

Attachments

• IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 273
Thanks, I know I'd never have figured it out without your help.
I snapped the bee and ladybug today. Weren't they accommodating to pose for me?

Thanks for the suggestion Ron, but that looks like a Microsoft program and I have a Mac. My photo program does a pretty good job, if I'd just learn how to use it.:rolleyes:

Yes, this is papyrus. It grows wild here in low lying and swampy areas. Likes full sun, and good waters.

Can the papyrus also grow in deep shade, in very dry conditions?
The blooms are non-descript, sort of cream color, and as I remember, they sort of remind me of Potentilla blossoms, except on long stems.
It's a good thing I got the pictures when I did because the cold weather has turned the leaves bright yellow, then brown, very quickly.

Thanks for the suggestion Ron, but that looks like a Microsoft program and I have a Mac. My photo program does a pretty good job, if I'd just learn how to use it.:rolleyes:

I have a mac too. I'm pretty sure there is something that will do it. I have photoshop that I use or I do it on the camera before i upload. there is always a work around if you just look for it.

Thanks Lynpenny.
I just kept working with iphoto till I got it close enough. I really need to spend more time learning about this machine instead of playing online.
Does photoshop edit videos as well? I have a tremor and it sure makes my videos hard to watch. I do have imovie on my Mac but it doesn't edit that out, that I can find.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back