Cold Frames/Mini-Greenhouses

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's some pics of my coldframes/mini greenhouse using used windows and used wood!
As I transplant my seedings they go into my frames to grow and harden off!
I will not be planting them out for another couple of weeks....what the heck....I maybe planting them as I needed them over the next couple of months. All the excess will be sold to help pay for my gardening habit!
Still have lots of seed species to start inside under my grow lights!!
The larger of the two I remove the glass windows in the late morning and replace the glass in the evening!
The smaller on has hinges so I can prop the window open during the day and close it in the evening!

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 398
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 417

PRH

Gotta say,I like! Thanks for taking sometime to share with us alittle recycling project there too!! :p

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome Ron
Thanks for sharing, I might have to put a request on freecycle for some windows...

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I like also ron...we made up four with some windows we picked up at a yard sale...this next winter mike is going to hook up a heat system to the one larde one I have on the south sid eof the house to grown some greens in as long as I can...we used free pallets for the wood

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only problem I have is with toads! It's toad heaven here on the lake and they get into everything and pop plants out of their pots!
I handed up using some left over roxel insulation around the base to fill in the gaps that the toads were squeazing in through! Little beggers can flatten themselves enough to get under the frame and then into my plants! They are worse then squirrels when we were in the city!

They were even getting into the plants that I'm getting ready for sale, so had to arrange something to get the pots and tray up off the ground!
Here's a pic:

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 405

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe I should go mini since I can't seem to get the green house built. I have 2 entire house of windows stored waiting to get it built.
Nice stuff Ron

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well Nancie, sometimes it is best to get the job done by starting it yourself! Then your hubbie might just pitch in and help! That maybe the only way to get him motivated, by starting without him!
I know, for myself, once I get started I have to get the job finished!
It is the getting started that can be difficult!;)

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you look closely to the last photo, I used plastic lawn chairs (and a few old wooden chairs) that were no longer safe, or usable, for sitting on! I cut the arms and backs off and used the the seat and legs as support for the cross pieces that I have the plant trays on! Not pretty but it does work to keep the toads out of the pots! Unless they learn to climb.....
I have at least 6 more chairs that I can use in this way!
Nothing like recycling!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well Nancie, sometimes it is best to get the job done by starting it yourself! Then your hubbie might just pitch in and help! That maybe the only way to get him motivated, by starting without him!
I know, for myself, once I get started I have to get the job finished!
It is the getting started that can be difficult!;)

LOL! I have tought about that too! I have such a list I am overwhelmed. LOL! Greenhouse, chicken coop, concrete pads around hose bibs and on and on LOL! So many jobs so little me.

Ahhh I do see the chairs.

jmsadare

Our cold frames (or garden environment, where they are known) is tempered glass and architectural aluminum. Sliding glass panels for easy access and variable ventilation. Shelves and irrigation mist may also be added.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com