Do you have a story to share?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

deck chucker

That's hilarious! It sounds like a cartoon situation. I'd probably scream if one got that close, but then I'd laugh.
I was also one of those kids who'd take the cicada shells and stick them on people's shoulders when they weren't looking.

shinekeeper

I was also one of those kids who'd take the cicada shells and stick them on people's shoulders when they weren't looking.

I think you and I could be cartoon characters together....

Attachments

• condeb.jpg
    condeb.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 354

deck chucker

roflmao!! Wow! That is AWESOME!!! I was thinking of gathering some up next summer and making them into Christmas decorations to "sneak" on to trees. Add a few sparkles and maybe a little Santa hat, boots. --ya know?

deck chucker

haha I think we're onto something here. I made a zebraloosaffe out of polymer clay last year. I may have to work on this one now.

Attachments

• zebraloosaffe.jpg
    zebraloosaffe.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:

wallance

Here are some important points that you should remember when thinking about the weed in garden

1. Learn about the plants and the weeds and bugs that affect them.
2. Choose the right plants. Plant native species whenever possible. Native plants are better protected by their own “immune systems” and their relationships with other plants and animals in the area. You may also look for plants that are pest-resistant. Diversifying the garden with a variety of plants will help the plants protect each other from pests. For example, small flowered plants like daisies, mint, and rosemary attract many insects that eat the pests. Check with a local garden shop or nursery for recommendations.
3. Maintain healthy, fertile soil by rotating your plants, adding compost, and mulching.
4. Plant early to avoid the worst bug season.
5. Allow growth of the pests’ natural predators. Ladybugs, ground beetles, and birds eat many pests, and fungi and moss can infect the pests naturally. Spraying chemicals often kills the beneficial bugs too.
6. Get out there and work with your hands! A hoe, spade, and your hands are the best tools to combat weeds. Getting close to your plants will help you identify problems and remove pests and damaged plants by hand. Tilling can eliminate many weeds as well. Pruning plants helps remove diseased parts, leaving the plant's nutrients for the healthy parts. Always prune back to a main branch or stem; leaving "stubs" opens a door for pests.
7. Keep a garden journal in which you record when you see pests, what they look like, what they have done to the plants, and the actions taken. In this way, you will learn what works and what doesn't while experimenting with new techniques.

K

Kale

Hi Wallance, That is basically much of what I've been saying...:D
said some in the 1st post, except for tilling in weeds..that is a no no here in Michigan unless... you enjoy tilling or the weed.
Our weeds tilled in will continually show their selves multiplying like mad.

Kale:)

K

Kale

Belladonna that is one very adorable bee!
What did it do; was it the male or female (if you know)..?
I had bees born in my house last year, come March they were hatching (from my houseplant that I had outdoors for a few weeks last yr) , yet still very weak they did got to fall onto the carpet, Sonnyboy (cat) kept finding them I brought them out into the sun, they went from walking like they were drunk to....off they went ; not sure if they survived until summer.
He was adorable too.. little fella.

Belladonna

I can't tell if it was a pink one or a blue one sorry, it buzzed a lot more than the regular bees and it sort of rolled in the pollen on a yellow daisy until almost covered it bumbled off at which stage I closed my mouth said
"Oh thankyou " aloud and started breathing again.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I found this Walking Stick a few weeks ago. I likes to walk right around the house. It takes him about a week to make the round trip and always hands up in the same spot next to the door off the deck by Saturday, or Sunday!

Attachments

• August 30 2009 117.jpg
    August 30 2009 117.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 339
  • August 30 2009 116.jpg
    August 30 2009 116.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
K

Kale

WOW Ron!
I do not have any walking sticks! They are interesting to watch...
I saw one about 2 years ago while walking my bike up hill.*lol
We were riding around a lake at Kensington Metropark for some reason *lol
I left it there where it seemed right at home with pleanty of foliage to eat!
Hummm I think they multiply without a mate, and usually have female children...
Watch out for babies *LOL

Kale:D

K

Kale

Belladonna,
I found this little cutie while searching my photos...:D

Doesn't he look like he is praying??*LOL

Attachments

• bee house.jpg
    bee house.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 352
Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kale

Thanks for the link Ron, and did you see my cute little bee?

farmerlon

In my Quest to garden organically I became rather observant, Kale:D

Yep, you made me think of my own bug story.
A few years back, when I first "got into" gardening, the first book that I picked up was "the Joy of Gardening" by Dick Raymond.
First, let me say that there is a lot of good advice in that book... and, I have a great respect for Mr. Raymond. From reading the book, it's obvious that he has a love and passion for gardening.

BUT :( ... that book was probably written way before most folks even heard the term "Organic Gardening", and Mr. Raymond was a big proponent of spreading around the chemical fertilizers.
So, being a "newbie", I followed his advice and incorporated chemical fertilizer (10-10-10, etc...) into the soil when tilling, and used it as a side-dressing for plants too... and so forth and so on.

You wouldn't believe the "blooms" of Insects that I got from the applications of those chemical fertilizers!:eek: I had the most prolific swarms of aphids, blister beetles, and you-name-its that anyone could imagine!
There's no telling how much damage I did not the life (micro-organisms, etc..) of my soil.

Thankfully, I've learned a lot since then (and still learn more every day). These days, I don't use any chemical fertilizer or pesticides at all ... my garden has never been better, and continues to improve every year.

Dick Raymond advocated many Organic Gardening concepts in his book, such as: composting, cover crops, raised beds, wide-row planting, etc... .
But, (in my opinion) unfortunately, he had not made the transition away from chemical fertilizers when that book was published.

So, my story is that the bugs taught me a darn good lesson!

Annette99

Had a cicada fall into my hair standing under a tree. shortly after moving to NY, had never seen them before. Thought it was a mutant fly. Scared the wits out of me.

K

Kale

Farmerlon,
WELCOME! Enjoy your stay...

Yes those bugs do teach you more then most are willing to admit.The first response I get is what spray do I use!?
my reply; I don't use sprays what kind of bugs do you have.
I would ask to describe it and that is where the responses floor me... I love them!
I can joke about them for a while! "Oh, it is black and has leggs"
"Ok..that helped me much, is there 1 or 50? What is he doing that you don't like?
Where did you find him? Do you want me to get him for you *LOL
I'll give him a safe home here*LOL they usually think I am absolutely nuts!
I do not think that bothers me a bit...Actually it makes me smile!
I 'll tell you how to get rid of them if they are not needed Tell me more!*
One lady stated no I just want to kill them all ! I told her I'm sorry I can't help you,
I usually do not kill any bugs.
She went to use wd40 or something like that!
I love information books with pictures! My thought is if the book is under 5dollars and I get one piece of useful information it was worth it.

Annette99,

I have encountered many jump out of the skin situations.I bet ...first you get startled then flip out for a few*LOL

There once was this group (I would be shocked if it were the same one!) of hoppers that just loved to cross my daughter no matter where she went, if she was outside he /she would cross her. No matter what door or garden she was in he would cross her. Even went on walks she would get crossed. One even attached itself to the shirt and wouldn't let go! They loved her maybe the soap she used*lol .She questioned why don't they bother me I said because they think I am a moving tree sure don't smell pretty like you !
I worked that whole season to rid her of the fear of the hopper what a chore!
But it was fun she is such a girlie girl*lol.
I then made an engraved wooden
sign * CAUTION CROSSING HOPPERS * which helped her quit a bit.
Having her laugh about it did the trick (more or less depends on what this new season will bring).
She now talks about it and states she doesn like hoppers but she does smile about it.
Nothing like trying to reason with a screaming little girl *lol.Sorta like commanding a beagle to "come" when she sees a squirrel*LOL Not happening all ears are shut down!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com