Drying Jalapenos

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Richard watkins

Needing some help if any one can help. I'm trying to dry some jalapenos. I've got them hanging in my kitchen window so they get some sun. They've been hanging for about 5 weeks. I checked one the other say and it was still a little mooshy. How long should they hang? They have turned red and shriveled already. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

I recall getting this info from a friend on New Mexico. Trying to dry any of the thicker fleshed varieties such as Jalapeno, Scotch Bonnet and Habanero can take a long time, especially if you're planning to dry them indoors. They need good airflow, lots of sunlight and above all low humidity as dry air cures them a lot faster and helps prevent rotting. Jalapenos etc. are best dried in an oven or in a dehydrator due to their thicker flesh........maybe try waxier chillies next time like Birds Eye as they dry out a lot faster. Hope this helps you a little......

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back