Forsythia

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

sfishergirl

Has anyone ever propagated by cuttings? I have a huge tree on the side of the house but we can't see it I would like to make a few new ones for the other side of the house So I can enjoy them. I was just wondering how and if anyone has had any success with this

My stepmom does it but when I tried, I killed it.... Her flowers always look better than mine though so that's not really unusual. She definitely has a green thumb.

Really easy

I did last year and didn't even use rooting stuff. Real easy just cut stick in dirt and keep moist til they root. Should only take a couple of weeks. Or you can just put them in a jar of water and root them that way.

OMG you are going to be amazed at how easy it is to start Forsythia.
1 Pick a flexible branch or two or three and bend it to the ground.
2 At the point where the branch touches the ground scratch the bark a little. (I just gently rub it against a rock or cement. You just want to break the outer layer of the bark.)
3 Loosen the soil a bit and push the branch into the soil a little. You can but you don’t really need to bury it. It just needs to make contact with the soil.
4 Use a rock or maybe a wire to hold the branch in place.
5 Keep the area moist.
6 In two months check for roots.
Once you have roots just cut between the rooted part and the mother plant.

I’ve never started one from a cutting because every year I have new plants that start up on there own. Where ever a branch rubs against the ground it will start a new plant naturally.

This is a great way to start hydrangeas too.

Thanks for that info Bernie! I'm going to try that with my new baby forsythia that hubby bought me. Hope it will take off and grow like crazy between my yucky neighbors yard, and my pretty one!! :p

Thanks bernie I have new shoots coming up but the whole thing is on a side of the house that we dont use it is next to the chimney I will take pictures when it gets blooming better

I always have babies coming up beside mine.Mine needs to be trimmmed back. Very easy to root like Bernie said. I've done that in the past

Hi,,Can anyone please root me some forsythia and share some with me for postage,,I was sent some cuttings of it and snowball bush and none of them took root in water,, they died,,,I would appreciate it so very much,,when I was a child my mom had this bush in our yard and it was so beautiful,,thank you all for your time and kindness and for your sharing with me,,take care God bless you and your loved ones,,,Cassie

Hi,,Can anyone please root me some forsythia and share some with me for postage,,I was sent some cuttings of it and snowball bush and none of them took root in water,, they died,,,I would appreciate it so very much,,when I was a child my mom had this bush in our yard and it was so beautiful,,thank you all for your time and kindness and for your sharing with me,,take care God bless you and your loved ones,,,Cassie
let me check in the yard and see if i have any that rooted themselves in the dirt and i'll let you know

I've promisde the two I know I have but there might be some in my neighbor's yard. I'll check tomorrow. It's my plant. :)

Oh thank you both Mainegal and Bernie,,,i would sure appreciate it so very much,,you are both sweethearts...catch you later, thank you for your kindness and for sharing with me,,take care God bless you and your loved ones,,,Cassie

Cassie
Did you ever get any rootings? Let me know and remind me in the spring and I'll get some to you if you didn't as I should have some rooted, if not I will root some for you

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back