Growing self-fertile

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

andrew101

I have 10 female kiwi plants Actinidia spp. which are described as "self fertile". In most resources on line the requirements usually state that both male and female plants are required. What can I expect from self-fertile kiwis.

Hi Andrew!
I've never grown kiwi!
Did some research:
From what I gather, even though they are said to be self-fertile (Jenny, Baby, Issai, and others), it is best to grow a male nearby to ensure that pollenation occures!
Fruit from self-fertile vines tend to be smaller and not as hairy.
The vine themselves are more compact.

Welcome Andrew! Keep us up on how your kiwi's do. This is something I have always wanted to plant but never done. You and I share a zone. I am a little south and across the river from St. Augustine.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back