Help with watering

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Luke35

This spring, my wife and I transformed our front "yard" into a small flower garden. We added a number of hanging and planted flowers and a dwarf lilac to the existing magnolia tree and rose bush. So far all is well, except for a white flowered hanging basket.

I'm not sure what the flower is (I'm no expert on flowers - my wife picked it out). It's not that I'm not interested on what it is, I know I can find that out pretty easily. But based on its appearance, it is clear that something is wrong and I am wondering if it is getting too much water. Can anyone tell me from the photo if it is getting too much water, or not enough - or at the wrong time?

I've been watering daily when it hasn't rained. The other plants and flowers seem to have done well with daily watering, but is this one that needs watering less?

Attachments

• PRE_2011-06-06-203522.jpg
    PRE_2011-06-06-203522.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 268
Impatiens are one of those tender tropicals that have a few demands:
They require a constant supply of moisture! The watering frequency should be metered out so you wont get the wilt like in your photo!
The best thing to do is to check the soil every day! You can check by the weight of the pot. If it's light weight then it needs a good soaking! If it is somewhat heavy then don't water.
They also love to be fed! So, you can use a water soluable type such as 10-30-15 at half strength every other week!
Lighting: they do love bright light, but not in direct expsure to afternoon and evening sun! Early morning sun is great!

If you are having trouble keeping the plant watered well , try changing the potting medium to something that holds water a little better. A lot of times they are potted in a soil that dries and drains quick.

Watering your plant daily is good idea,but avoid over watering as leaves remains wet and might be there is risk of fungus and diseases.

Thank you for the tips. Just altering the time of day that I watered the poor thing made a WORLD of difference. The whole thing perked right up with a lighter morning and mid afternoon watering.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Hey Luke, all those tips you got were spot on. I have a few of these myself and they certainly appreciate a good soak and the occasional liquid fertiliser. As Crabber said if you notice the plant drooping too often then change your mix, I only have to water mine about twice a week.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back