Hens and Chickens (Semperviviums) from seed

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kya D

Someone (Ron I think) posted some links for hen and chick seeds
Please tell me (post links again) where you buy them

Thanks Ron
You're the best.
I am going to try growing them from seed this year
Wish me well.

You're welcome dawn!
Surface sow on moist seed starting soil!
Place in a ziplock bag!
Need bright light such as under a grow light or bright window. Protect from direct sun!
Germination starts in 7 to 14 days!
Can stretch out for several weeks depending on species!
Starting from seed is a great way to get lots of different hybids and species!

Here's a few shots of my baby seedlings:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 319
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 323
OMGosh Ron Those are wonderful.. I hope mine will do as well.
They are ordered but haven't arrived yet.

I surface sow on moist soil-less seed starting medium!
I give them a misting and stick them in a zip-lock, and place them under my grow lights!
Temp should be 70+.
Distance from the lights 2".
Once they get to 1/4 inch I transplant then so they are at least an inch and a half apart in larger trays.
I keep a loose plastic sheet over the trays so I do not need to water them too often!
They do not need too much moisture as they get larger, but they do need to be fertilized regularly at half the strength every other week.
Give them a good watering by sitting the trays in a tray of water, and let drain!
Once they get to around 1" you can transplant them into cell packs. At this point you can place them outdoors in a spot that gets morning sun, and afternoon shade. Water regularly and fertilize every other week.
Once they fill the cells you can move them on to a 3" to 4" pot size or plant out in the garden.
Timeframe for planting them out in the garden is around 5-6 months from seed!
I start mine in January and they are ready in early May!
Am I going to fast for you? ;)

OK Ron next time you need to type s-l-o-w-e-r then you won't be going too fast for me :)
Thanks for all your help.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back