hibiscus and mallow id needed!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok Guys, I finally need some id help to identify that these two species are.
The first one has velvet leaves and small yellow/pale orange blooms that are one inch wide. The seed case is interesting!
The whole plant looks like it is probably an annual.

The second one has heavily incised leaves and is suppose to have pink/red 9" flowers! Probably an August/September bloomer.

I'm having a hard time trying to id them, and would appreciate the names of both of them.
One of my sisters was in New Jersey and collected the seeds from these.
She is not a plant person so I couldn't get any info from her on height an zone hardiness!

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 255
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 241
Ok Guys!
I know that you must have come across either one, or both, over the years!
All I need is the common name!

We have a few kinds of mallow around here but not the one that you have.
It sounds like Laurie is right about the hibiscus it is probably is a dinner plate one.

August is almost here and that is when they start blooming!
No buds yet!

I do have the dinner plate sized one. The leaves are more rounded, as opposed to heavily incisted!

Be careful with that one it may want to take over your yard.
I have over the years planted several of the pretty plants that overtake the yard.
Gaillardia, primrose, mint, just to name a few.

Interesting plants Ron, especially that first one lol. The 2nd one looks like it may come from this family of hibiscus......Hibiscus moscheutos 'Anne Arundel'....just a guess

Thanks John, Dawn,
I don't think its in the moscheutos group, though it could be a hybrid.
I did a long search and came up with one 'Kopper King' with a similar leaf formation, except it has red leaves!
Mine are green and glossy.
I'll have to wait to see what the flowers look like when they start to bloom!

Thanks Maggie!
The leaves do not look like the one you posted.
The leaves on mine are more angler!
I noticed a flower bud forming on one of them so I'll be able id it better when it opens!

Update on the weedy Abutilon theophrasti: I disposed of it before any seeds could ripen and escape! There were a good 40 seeds in one of the seed cases!

Last edited:
Maggie
You're right, it a Texas Star!
I was checking them today and noticed the newer leaves are developing and they look just like the one in your photo!
Now to wait to see what the flowers to form and open...should be a week of so!!!

Looks like I will need to bring them inside for the winter!
They are not hardy to my zone 5/6!
I'll stick them in the pump room! I have it set to stay around 40F for the winter!

Ron, I grew some white ones from seed this year (haven't bloomed yet) and the leaves don't look like the red ones yet. They started out with more of a heart shape but as they grow the leaves are changing.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back