How to keep rabbits away?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Bruno2

Certain garden areas I have are taking a beating by the cottontail rabbits.They ate all of the jalepeno plants and a few squash.Not mention they have been snacking in some tomato plasts as well. I was hearing something about either bone meal or blood meal will keep them away.

I am open for any suggestions . Thank you.

I heard that bloodmeal works!
You will need to reapply after every rain!

I prefer using chicken wire to surround the garden!
You'll need to bury a good 6 inches of the wire down into the soil....because the beggers will try to dig under it to get in!

sed a cheaper version of chicken wire. It is called netting , it is wire but real light weight and cheaper. It did the trick for both rabbits and dillas!

Also moth balls but I want to keep the garden organic. Tim was peeing around it . LOL! The fence is fool proof though.
That post above that I made :rolleyes: , not sure what was going on there! What I was trying to say is that I used "chicken netting" it was about 1/2 the price of the wire and it was much easier to work with.
Wow I do need this vacation!

I learned years ago that when it comes to animals that dig...ie rabbits, skunks, foxes.
If you put up chicken wire as a fence if you dig a ditch (2" deep by 6" wide) around the outside of the fence put the wire in the ditch 2" deep and bend it out 6" then bury it, it works cuz animals that dig start AT the fence when they hit the wire they can't get in, but they never go back 6" and start to dig. This has worked on all of my chicken runs for years.
Well I hope this makes sense

It works for me
I have put my hens in the run we just made and the next morning I went out and you could see where the critters dug all the way around the run but none got in.

One simple method is planting of onions around your garden. As rabbits don't like onions and will find another area to forage.

Onions don't seem to offend these souther bunnies for some reason. I also have society garlic and they sit right in the middle of the garden! Guess they are extra hungry

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back