Hummingbirds

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

My little new ones started arriving yesterday. I only have 2 new ones so far. I hope I will get a few more. I haven't had as many this year as I usually have.

I am taking all my feeders down cleaning them and making new juice. They come up to the feeder and look but won't feed. Maybe the sun spoiled it or the rain got in the mix I don't know but I'll start over. I just did that last week. Any ideas????

Hubby was out spraying the garden with the hose because our sprinkler broke. A hummer came up and stopped in the middle of the spray and then flew away. Couple of minutes later he came back. This time he landed on the fence and started taking a bath in the spray. It was so cute I had never seen one do that before and he stayed for some time doing that.

When I was a child, we would see hummingbirds chasing the sprinklers round for a drink or a bath. It makes sense if you think about it, other birds use the sprinkler for baths and drinking. Shoot, in dry spells the birds can hardly wait for me to turn the sprinklers on! They squawk and carry from the bushes while I'm setting them up.

I saw my first hummingbird of the year Saturday a week ago and it was not at my hummingbird feeder. I was sitting in my van in my sisters yard waiting for her to come out when a beautiful hummingbird flittered in front of us. It was not afraid at all, it hesitated then flew over the van and away. I was so excited I knew my youngest sister and cousin wondered what was wrong with me. I didn't get a picture of it though. I told my sister she needed to put up some feeders. I think I will send her a couple.

We have dozens of the little cuties now. They go through 2 feeders full every other day

I haven't had many hummingbirds this year. I know I have two because I've seen them dive bombing over the lantana, but they're aren't coming to the feeder much, mostly they're hitting the flowers.

One year a while back I was getting 50 to 60 hummers every morning and evening
We are down to only a couple of dozen or so now.

I am going to change my feeders and stake them out to see if I can coaks them to come. I haven't seen any yet. My grandson says he saw one but I am not so sure.

Winter Hummers

I keep my hummingbird feeder up throughout the winter here in Texas.
Although they don't get much use, once in a while, one will show up to feed.
So, just in case one of the rarer ones do show up, my feeder will be ready for them!
GR

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back