ID Please

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kya D

A friend gave us these melon plants this spring. I thought they were cantalope but they are not. Does anyone know what they are?

Attachments

• melons.jpg
    melons.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 263
Probably cuz it has really deep green veins. But it tastes like a cantalope but much juicier and sweeter.

Soumds like you might want to save some seeds and see if you can get some to come true to the parent plant.

its really funny because the moment I saw it, I thought it was some kind of a squash. its only when i stared at it i saw the texture of the fruit. Are they really tastier than the cantaloupe?

Last edited:
it is more than likely an old heirloom type of melon...maybe a Iroqouiss or Tuscan? What color is the flesh of the melon?

Last edited:
It looks like cantalope flesh and taste much like a cantalope.
I will check out the types you mentioned.

:) by the look in the picture I would bet it is Tuscan...a bit sweeter than a regular cantalope

they are one of my fav's...did you say any seed's ? Just keep the guts on a paper plate and let them dry out...ready for next year

My hubby did save seeds but I told him that if it is a hybrid then it wouldn't grow true so I hope he didn't get rid of em. If we still have em I will save some for ou.

If it is indeed the Tuscan it is an heirloom and the seeds should be fine unless it got cross pollinated...but would still be something interesting...thank you for the offer of seeds from it...but I just saved enough for my planting next year of my melons...:)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back