Is it too late!?!?!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

dirtman775

Roughly 7yrs ago i planted a Bing cherry tree.....in my haste after planting i then found out u need to plant another so cross polination can occor therefore the ability to bear fruit....i have not and can not plant another due to space restrictions...is there another method of polinating my tree so as to bear sum yummy cherries???

Unless there's another cherry tree (doesn't matter which cultivar) nearby, fruit will be few if any!

Make sure that the trees bloom at the same time, if one blooms early and the other late then there won't be good pollination
Bing pollinators are
Bing Sam - Van - Montmorency -Rainer - Stella- Compact Stella -garden Bing

I had a Bing in our back yard at our last house and didn't have a pollinator, but there must have been one close enough as I had lots of cherries every year. The birds loved them and I had a few for myself. LOL

I only wish we could grow cherries here. I tried nanaking but they didn't produce and eventually died :(

If you can get ahold of a branch off another type of cherry you can splice it onto your tree. That should give you one tree with 2 types of cherries.
I have not done this, but this is how the nusries "make" one tree with 3 or 4 types of apples, pears, cherries, whatever.
I have read that if you have fewer branches of one type the other types can overgrow it given time.

If you can get ahold of a branch off another type of cherry you can splice it onto your tree. That should give you one tree with 2 types of cherries.
I have not done this, but this is how the nusries "make" one tree with 3 or 4 types of apples, pears, cherries, whatever.
I have read that if you have fewer branches of one type the other types can overgrow it given time.

I was thinking of doing the same exact thing... but in my adolesance as a gardner/grower i thought to be a little far fetched

It is called grafting!
It is usually buds that are grafted from one tree to another!
It can be done if you can learn the technique!
You might be better off cutting down your tree and replace it with one alread grafted with 3 to 4 different cultivars!

I bought a cherry tree with four different varieties on it and two of the varieties died. There are still two though and both dark; Lambert and Bing.

You might be better off cutting down your tree and replace it

There is absolutely no chance of that!! it has been a great divider between my kitchen window and my neighbors house....a bit of a privacy buffer if you will....its quite pretty when it blooms

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back