Lockable Gate Latches

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

mr_yan

I didn't really know where to post this but here may work.

Yesterday someone was knocking on our front door which my wife didn't answer. A few minutes later the same person was knocking on our back door uninvited and unwelcome. To get to our back door she would have had to enter a gate in a 5' tall wooden fence. The gate latch is on the back of the gate (yard or pull side) but there is a nearly hidden string to help open the latch. The gate sits back in a small gate arbor.

Attached is an old photo from when I had just built the gate arbor. I should get a new photo as the arbor is being covered by cucumbers.

I would like to add some type of lock which would force people to either go over or through the wooden fence. This gate is also the main way in and out of our yard and house so it has to be lockable / unlockable from either side.

Does anyone know of a latch / lock to mount on a wooden gate of this nature?

In the town I grew up in this was never a problem - well we didn't have any type of fence either. Now I live in a large city which has made the "most dangerous" list more than once in the last few years.

I'm still working on my wife about another larger dog - perhaps a standard or giant schnauzer. Our boarder terrier only lets us know when some animal is in the house or a thunder storm is outside.

Thanks

Attachments

• 5-30 108 - Copy.jpg
    5-30 108 - Copy.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 349
Haven't a clue since I never had that particular problem when I was living in the city!
I had a high fence and gate with the latch on the inside and nothing on the outdside so this maybe the reason why I never had a problem with intuders in my back yard area!

Good job dawn! thanks for the links

I have no unwanted guest or even for the matter welcome guest. If you come to my house you are either lost or you can't get me on the phone.

We occasionally get door to door salesmen....only problem is that they drive and stop.....I don't answer the door on certain days, because I know who they are, and just get tired of telling them I'm not interested in what they want to talk about again, since I told them that last month......hope they put an 'do not return' on the legdger they carry with those annoying pamplets they throw at you before you close the door!
Otherwise we do not get very many people selling things....because they have to travel to get here and more then half the neighbors are only seasonal!
I have no gates to lock and rarely lock the doors...unless we are out!
I definitly keep the car locked and the alarm armed!
Hedy is great for warning us if anything is amiss, or someone is on the property!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back