Moroccan Bean and Pepper Stew

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Blueaussi

I'm soaking chick peas and kidney beans to make my own, and dicing fresh tomatoes. I want to make it lower in sodium. I'm also using fresh ginger because I like fresh ginger.

Moroccan Bean and Pepper Stew

Cinnamon, ginger, and red pepper not only warm up the flavors of this healthful bean stew, they also fill it with health-promoting antioxidants. It’s as easy as to make as chili, but with terrific exotic flavors.

Makes 6 servings (1 cup stew and 1/3 cup couscous each).

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Moroccan Bean and Pepper Stew:

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 cups chopped yellow or red bell peppers

2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash

1 1/2 cups chopped onions

2 teaspoons McCormick® Cinnamon, Ground

1 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder

1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Cumin, Ground

1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ginger, Ground

1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Red Pepper, Ground

1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt from McCormick® Sea Salt Grinder

1 can (16 ounces) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed

1 can (15 1/2 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained

1 cup water

Couscous:

3/4 cup vegetable broth

1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Cinnamon, Ground

1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ginger, Ground

2/3 cup whole wheat couscous

1/4 cup golden raisins

Chopped fresh mint (optional)

Toasted sliced almonds (optional)

1. For the Stew, heat oil in 3-quart saucepan on medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, squash and onions; cook and stir 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Add cinnamon, garlic powder, cumin, ginger, red pepper and sea salt; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in beans, tomatoes and water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, covered, 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

2. For the Couscous, bring broth, cinnamon and ginger to boil in medium saucepan on high heat. Remove from heat. Stir in couscous and raisins. Cover. Let stand 5 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Fluff couscous with fork.

3. Serve stew over couscous in large soup bowls. Sprinkle with mint and almonds, if desired.

per serving

Calories: 272
Fat: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 50 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 477 mg
Fiber: 10 g
Protein: 9 g

Kya D

Blue that sounds really yummy esp. this time of year. I love soup and stew and stuff like that in the winter

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com