my sisters poor plant

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

luckynunn

I bought this plant for my sis for mothers day this year--I found it outside her front door yesterday and brought it home--I think its a saga plant--she must have watered it too much or it might be root bound --any suggestions on how to get it back to health?--I wondered if I could replant it and cut off the leaves and start over?--
thanks, Amy

thanks for helping me with the pics!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 277
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 274

PRH

I bought this plant for my sis for mothers day this year--I found it outside her front door yesterday and brought it home--I think its a saga plant--she must have watered it too much or it might be root bound --any suggestions on how to get it back to health?--I wondered if I could replant it and cut off the leaves and start over?--
thanks, Amy

thanks for helping me with the pics!

Yes,I too think it's a Sago! ( they are very slow growing plants ) If you decide to replant it,be very careful as they really don't like to be transplanted much,but in your case, I would go ahead and replant and maybe not cut the leaves off completely - just the dead,dry parts because the plant will be in enough shock! I have 2 of these types of plants and they are just as beautiful as ever. ( course 1 is rather big and the other was given to me from a neighbor who's mother plant had babies - so it's still young ) Remember,these plants like as much light as you can give them and they are very slow growing plants as well,but the rewards of seeing them come to life and the complimants are worth it all!!
Hope this helped ya and wish you the best on what you decide!! ( alittle info. the plant is also a form of a Bonsai )

Last edited:

luckynunn

sago plant

should I give it inside light or put it outside during the day?--how often should I water it?
thanks for your replies!

PRH

I have mine sitting outside in the Summer Season. Water the plant as if it were a cacti and DO NOT give the plant any type of fertilizer for at least a year if you replant and afterwards,I'd say every 6 months should do it!
Good Luck!!

luckynunn

It already looks better since I brought it home and gave it some TLC! thanks for all the ideas and suggestions

Amy

PRH

Just checking back:
Hows the situation with your plant going along? ( they are slow growers,but interested to know how things are going along with the plant ) :eek:

swindy

luckynunn here is a link on sago palms that you might be interested in reading.

I just came across this article on the dangers of the Sago Palm on Snopes.com This plant poses a real danger to kids and pets. I am posting the link to the snopes article so you all can check it out. www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/sagopalm.asp

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com