My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

There is something in the rain!
It could be acid rain!
But, it maybe something 'they' are using to seed the clouds to make it rain!
That is not normal to not have any insects either daytime or night time bugs and spiders to feed on them!
To bad you can't find out what is causing the white spots (or what the white spots are) and the sudden death a few days later!
If I were you I wouldn't eat anything that comes from your garden!
Whatever it is would more then likely not healthy for humans!
..makes for a great conspiracy theory!

Wow Ron. That looks a lot like what Josh was talking about. I was going to say it sounded like drift of some kind. :( Sorry Trax :(

What's 'drift'? (curbs are not always as smart as we feel...but we always know we do NOT ever know much ~ THAT'S why we trip people up. HA HA! YOU didn't even SEE the curb!) ~ An Anonynous Curb

There are a lot of forest fires and they use chemicals suppressants.
There's also chemicals for breaking up oil!
.....pesticides, herbicides......and who knows what else that we don't know about until after the fact!
It's a really bad sign when the whole ecosystem collapses...I think that is the greatest sin anyone can commit!!

Curbie
Drift is when the winds pick up chemicals and deposit it hundreds of miles away in rainfall!

Nancie
I googled White Rain killing plants and youtube came up!
There wasn't anything else documented on any other web site!

Thank you for explaining 'drifting' Ron. I thought water drifted but I'm not the smartest curb in town :) ~ Now I have something to ask you, Ron.I know Jules inNova Scotia cannot use pesticides. Are you allowed to? I wonder if it depends on which province you live in? My neighbor pours gasoline in cicada killer hills. I don't 'get it'. He pours gas into OUR CHESAPEAKE BAY<<<< b/c THAT is when it RAINS, it comes out. GEE, WHY are our crabs dieing???? We use SO many pesticides and myself and my across the street neighbor tell the dudes who spray that crap. (oh, i don't think i was allowed to say that) My nextdoor neighbor fertilizes his yard. I scream in my brain," NO<<<<<!!! oh well :) ~ Curbster

Most of the more toxic pesticides and herbicides have been banned, at least in Ontario!
Jules may have others that are commonly used in her area!
I can use round-up on weeds on my gravel driveway simply because I live in a farming area and they haven't banned the use on farm fields...yet!
I use it only in evenings that have still air so there won't be any drift!

Remember DDT and the collapse of ecosystems around the world!
Bugs became immune to it, and as it worked up the food chain bird species started to die off! It took decades to undo the damage DDT did to our world as well as each and everyone of use who grew up with its unsafe application! There was nothing safe about it!
Remember PCBs in electical systems.....so many people died of cancer as a result of its unsafe use....it got into so many ecosystems, and again effected everyone and everything that was exposed to it!
The said it was safe and even sprayed children ...that was sick and these people now suffer from various nervous conditions!

Once these chemicals get into the food chain we are all screwed and still are because some of the pesticides are still being used.....there is a whole list of vegetables that we buy that are contaminated ....and we eat it! ...celery is probably the worst crop....!
I can go on and on about it, but think I'll stop for now!
What can we do about it? Stop buying non-organically grown produce!

Nancie
I googled White Rain killing plants and youtube came up!
There wasn't anything else documented on any other web site!

Imagine that?! I bet the companies pay big money to make sure that stuff doesn't get out to the public.
When I ran the landfill , our facility backed upto a coal fired generation station. We would have clear blue skies and it would be raining. Our trucks were white and every moring after the first run the guys would wash their trucks because they had rusty spots on top of the paint.

Most of the more toxic pesticides and herbicides have been banned, at least in Ontario!
Jules may have others that are commonly used in her area!
I can use round-up on weeds on my gravel driveway simply because I live in a farming area and they haven't banned the use on farm fields...yet!
I use it only in evenings that have still air so there won't be any drift!

Remember DDT and the collapse of ecosystems around the world!
Bugs became immune to it, and as it worked up the food chain bird species started to die off! It took decades to undo the damage DDT did to our world as well as each and everyone of use who grew up with its unsafe application! There was nothing safe about it!
Remember PCBs in electical systems.....so many people died of cancer as a result of its unsafe use....it got into so many ecosystems, and again effected everyone and everything that was exposed to it!
The said it was safe and even sprayed children ...that was sick and these people now suffer from various nervous conditions!

Once these chemicals get into the food chain we are all screwed and still are because some of the pesticides are still being used.....there is a whole list of vegetables that we buy that are contaminated ....and we eat it! ...celery is probably the worst crop....!
I can go on and on about it, but think I'll stop for now!
What can we do about it? Stop buying non-organically grown produce!

I can pick up on your soap box where you left off ! :D
DDT /DEET is linked to the decline of the American Bald Eagle too, as well as many cancers! Just like dioxins as well as chloradane, malathyon and the list goes on.
Now you know why I am so organically minded. I hate buying groceries in the store. Even meats and dairy have these contaminates in them. In NE Florida on the St. Johns River every summer we have fish killing algee blooms. It is because of all those rich fancy houses in Jacksonville and other riverfront metro cities along the river that fertilize their riverfront yards with hundres of pounds of chemicals 3 times a year, the industry along the river including our worst pollutor the US NAVY, and effluant run off ( which , pun intended, could be also called affluant run off)!
ANYWAy, I don't use weed killer, I use vinegar, I don't use fertilizer , I use compost. Why we have become so dependant on chemicals I will never know.
Ok off my soap box now!:rolleyes:

Oh and the PCB's don't even get me started. Tim worked at a plant that rehabed old transformers. He said you couldn't get the stuff off of you . He said is spread so guick and just adheared to your skin :eek: Maybe that's what's wrong with him.

Last edited:
Dunno what to think now. But it's def something in the rain cause the rain's just really weird. We never get rain after our temps get into the 90's and 100's so the rains we've been getting can't be normal rain. It's rain that falls even when it's too hot for rain to fall here.
Another weird thing, it's cold rain. We only get warm rain in the summer when it's in the 80's so it shoulda been warm rain.

Btw, thanks! :) I def won't be eating anything that got hit with that rain. I have some peppers inside but they didn't get rained on, yay! And I have 2 tomato plants that were never outside! :D
It's really weird though. There's always tons of flowers here in the summer but there aren't any this year except a few sunflowers. Even in town there aren't very many flowers anywhere.

Anyway, I've decided to learn more about organic gardening. Our neighbors use tons of sprays on their yards but they're dead now cause they still have to ration water like everyone else. There's too many dangerous chemicals and that needs to stop! Btw, thanks for all the info about that. :)

The only insecticide I use is Canola oil and ivory soap. We also plant wild Marigolds and they repel bugs. And we have a huge compost pile that's totally organic!
Btw, I got 2 great Purple onion starters that are about 2 inches tall yesterday! :D I'm going to grow those in containers and put them on the deck to get sunlight. If it even looks like it might rain I'll def bring them back inside! I'm gonna experiment with a lot of veggies in containers since this is def not a good summer to garden outside. :) It's just way too hot and way too many chemicals in the rain!

Last edited:
Wow Trax I haven't heard of acid rain for a long time.....what a mess it made of your garden. Most of the dangerous chemicals have been banned here too, and it's great to see you're using some organic methods already. I've been using organic and permaculture methods for many years now and it's great to see it all come together. Although don't get me started on chemicals etc. either ughhhhh

Hey thanks Wombat. :) But even if the outdoors is gone I still have my indoor garden and it's doing awesome! :D I'm even growing mums indoors. They were almost nothing but sticks when I potted them and brought them inside but now they have tons of new leaves!
And the beefsteak tomato plant I brought in is getting big and really healthy. I'm gonna pot up more of those and bring them inside tomorrow. Everything's growing faster inside than it did out there, especially the pepper plants!

Hey Crabber,
If you still have any plants alive you could put them in pots and grow them in a window cause it def works. I wish I could make the rain stop there but I can't even make the heat stop here. :( I hope your plants survive. :)

Has anyone seen a rainbow recently? oh...veggies...um...what about cucumbers? Does anyone grow cucumbers? I'd like to grow a watermelon. Curbie

I grow cukes and watermelons. It is a little late for you to plant watermelons, but I just cut 0ne from the garden...oh I have pictures on my camera of the volunteer that has 2 beautiful melons on it. I'll see if I can find it to post for you. They are baby sweets and they only get about the size of a basketball ball.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back