My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I picked my first green beans yesterday. My garden this year consists of only two rows of green beans and the chickens cleaned out the first planting. I picked a bit over 5 gallons of beans from the two rows. I'll get some prepared for dinner this evening and find someone to take the rest off my hands.

Curbie I have in my garden this year
cukes
summer squash
winter squash
tomatoes
carrots
beets
cantalope 1st year we have tried these
watermelon 1st year we have tried these
corn
lettuce
spinach
chard
I can't believe how well the melons are doing, the cantalope are just the best

I just plated my winter squash, dixie lee field peas, sweet pod peas, cauliflower, broccoli, collards, beets, and more okra. I still have stuff to plant like my pumpkins, and brussel sprouts and kale. Great time of year to be gardening!

I wish I could send some of the straight neck summer squash. I am getting several a day. I am putting tons of them in the dehydrator, and giving away bunches too. Along with bell peppers and carrots.

I bought some tomatoes(patio), jalapenos, bell peppers, serranos, and going to plant okra, kale, collards, turnips, mustards, turnips and winter squash. Nancie, I think I plant sme dixie lee's also since Gloria sent me some last year.

Hey Dor,
Where ya been? We have missed you.
I love the Dixie Lee's. They are a very good producer. I planted 2 rows about 50 ft long and we had way more then we could eat and can. I gave a lot away. I like the snaps as well as the peas.

Hey Nancie, I missed you all. I have been busy getting adjusted to going to college full-time. I am finally getting use to it. A lot of studying and computer work but it will all be worth it. My youngest daughter told me she was very proud of me. That brought a huge smile to my face. I will be around just not as often as I use to.

Hi guyz! :D Veggie garden update.
It's late January and my indoor plants are doing awesome! I'm even picking hot peppers to eat. Now that I know it can happen, I'll def be trying a lot more veggies and other indoor projects.
I learned last summer that sweet peppers, okra, horseradish, and some other plants can do great in our climate. Hibiscus does great here too! But I will need to tent the tomatoes to grow those here.
And now I understand what you guyz had to deal with to learn to grow plants.

Red Habanero (left) and Poblano (right) peppers. :D

6744962919_9c16e97a4f_z.jpg

Habanero & Poblano peppers by Trax, on Flickr

Hot peppers (Cubanelle & New Mexico).

6744961347_99ec05b9f1_z.jpg

Hot Peppers by Trax, on Flickr

One of the Cubanelle hot peppers before it got ripe.

6365829661_fdfcd3e209_z.jpg

My 1st hot pepper by Trax, on Flickr

A ripe Cubanelle hot pepper! :D

6744923121_c91d5c2c4d_z.jpg

Ripe indoor Cubanelle pepper by Trax, on Flickr

Cool Trax, didnt know you could grow that stuff indoors, did you have to hand pollinate them?

Cool Trax, didnt know you could grow that stuff indoors, did you have to hand pollinate them?

Yeah, but I used a q-tip and it was really easy! :) It only took maybe a second for each flower and I only have to do it once when new flowers pop up.
I just kept them in a sunny window and the important part is to Not give them very much fertilizer. If you feed them too much you get a huge plant with no peppers.

Btw, I got a huge yellow Banana pepper too but the plant got knocked off the shelf and broke and I couldn't save it.
But it did prove that anyone can grow peppers inside in the winter - easily - and have fresh peppers all winter! :D

GREAT pics, Trax! Thank you. I need help with these banana trees. I am lost in space b/c it LOOKS like they're dieing. What am I supposed to do? Do I water them or spray them or what?????? Someone please help. Crubz

Thanks, Curbz! :)
If your banana plants only look like they're dying then they're prolly okay. Mine always looked half-dead by January. Check the stems. If the stems are solid and the leaves aren't drooping down too much then don't give them any water.
If they have been dry for a long time, then give them about a cup of water each. A long time = 2-4 weeks or more.
This is the most important time of the year to watch them. They'll look like crap by March but if the stems are still strong, they will grow back in about 30 days after you put them outside in the shade in the spring. :)

Since they look like they're dying, they've prolly gone dormant. If they are dormant, don't let them get very much light.

Crop failure is the best teacher!
Once you figure out what grows best and what doesn't, you can trim down the number the species that do well and concentrate on them!
Love your peppers!!

I refuse to lose these banana plants. I am probably the only person who has grown attached......to banana trees. It's too cold to put them outside. What about 'Motherly Instinct' ? Does that work? ♫? go dormant....just go dormant. Thanks Trax. :)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back