My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

OK last of the boring pics!:p

My potatoes had about a 75% germination rate. I had to put fence over them to keep the armadillos from digging them up.
My compost is doing great. The red cooler is my fish emulsion , which the turkey vultures try to get in everyday.:eek: The lid is pretty tight , but they tip it over trying to open it. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• potato (800x530).jpg
    potato (800x530).jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 256
  • potatoes & bees (532x800).jpg
    potatoes & bees (532x800).jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 230
  • Compost & fish emulsion (800x532).jpg
    Compost & fish emulsion (800x532).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 240
That is AWESOME! I would like an apiary. I didn't know you had parrots. I was SO stupid when I bought more morning glory seeds. The squirrels get tangled in these vines. (Well, there's also a rose bush under it.) :) Oh well. Squirrels are resilient. Curbstone

I'm totally jelly, Crabber. :D Your gardens look awesome! Btw, I tried to grow potatoes last summer and it was total fail. What kind of soil mix do you grow them in? Any other info on that would def be appreciated. :) Btw, I'm totally addicted to MSG (Chinese food) and corn dogs with tons of mustard! :D

I've been doing a lot of digging to get gardens ready for my veggies. :D And I already have a few things to plant. I'll be getting more next weekend but here's what I'll be planting tomorrow.

Monterey and Albion strawberries. I'll be growing these in hanging pots. Well, I'll be growing a lot of things in pots in case we have another killer summer this year. I def wanna be prepared for that.
6954447355_82f122e548_z.jpg

Strawberries by Trax, on Flickr

Three different types of onions and garlic. :D
6808353090_d049012e48_z.jpg

Onions & garlic by Trax, on Flickr

Cherry tomatoes, peppers, and okra. I totally love okra. :D
6954462121_3f17e83408_z.jpg

Seeds by Trax, on Flickr

I just need to find out what to plant to get insence.
6808352330_466b473ae1_z.jpg

Fav insence burner by Trax, on Flickr

Last edited:
Wow what a great set up you have there Nancie, well done!
Trax you've got some great stuff there your gardens should look great in a month or so. Incense is a little tricky, a friend of mine tried it a few years ago and found that a lot of ingredients go into making the sticks. You may be better off finding the aromas you like and buying the equivalent essential oil and dipping the unscented sticks in that. There's a few sites that explain how it's done. Other than that set yourself up a fragrant herb garden and take it from there, have fun with it!

Was just outside and spotted these guys, (sugarbaby w'melon) the rain has made them swell up almost overnight. I hope they have time to ripen as it's getting late in the season. (I know they're not veggies but they're in a veggie patch;) )

Attachments

• sugarbaby watermelon.jpg
    sugarbaby watermelon.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 226
Thanks to all for the compliments. I wish I had more time in the garden.

Curbie,
The bees belong to my second closest neighbors ( a mile down the road). When a bee keeper is trying to increase his hives, he must start a new hive off site. Otherwise the bees will kill each other off. Not sure how or if he will reintroduce this hive to his property. I volunteered to have them , because I want the pollination benefit. They are really awesome to watch. We do get honey from him when he spins the hives. I hope he leaves them here. I have really been enjoying them.

Ron,
Thanks! I feel a little like I haven't done much this winter. I am in the process of expanding. I want to have a row of about 10 blueberries somewhere in all that mess. I am very eclectic ( scattered) in the yard. :rolleyes:

Trax
This area of Florida is known as the Potato Capital of Florida due to it's soil. We have sandy well drained soil with a Ph of between 6.5 & 7.2 perfect for potatoes. The main keys are Ph and no clay. The soil must be very fine and not hold water. The commercial guys dig trenches (About 2 feet deep)beside each hill (actually the "hills are about 3 feet wide and ground level) and are flood irrigated every other day.
Last year we had such rains that the commercial growers lost about 75% of their crops due to too much water. You can actually grow potatoes in perilite in buckets. You water everyday. No soil needed!
John
I love finding little surprises like that !
Hound
Melons are considered fruits. ;)

Watermelons are fruits b/c their seeds are on the inside. A tomato is a fruit (seeds inside). Anything that has seed inside is considered a fruit. Like an eggplant is considered a fruit. Squash and zuchinni. Now I can't figure out what vegetable DOESn't have seeds on the inside. Good luck, Trax! Should be fun! Nancy, gardens look wonderful. I am still trying to get dill seeds. I have an affinity towards flowers (not the Christmas tree) . Now it's supposed to be 70° Thursday. Do you think it's too early to plant my seeds? I really don't think a marigold can die in the snow today but I don't know. :)

I didn't know you had parrots. Curbstone

I co-owned 2 Blue & golds with my best firend. She was being treated for cancer (twice) so I got the parrots. When she was better (5 years later) I was so tired of taking care of them, that I asked her to take them back. the idea was we were co-oping to raise parrots. I just don't have that kind of time anymore. She is now wanting to sell them( fine with me) but I am keeping the outdoor cage panels for the garden. If you want a bird, there is one Blue & Gold Macaw left , One scarlet Macaw and one Malucan cockatoo.
They take a lot of care on a 2 x's daily basis, but they are great companions and lots of fun;)

I had a cockatiel once. CHEEKS! He would sit on my shoulder and SCREAM into my ear. CHEEKS! I may be one of the only people to backhand a cocktiel! This bird learned how to cuss b/c of of me. It could say a TON of Pittsburgh-ese. MTM would always ask," Are you teaching this bird words?" WHY b/c she CUSSES? CHEEKS would know when I got up in the morning. Her cage was covered and I would creep down the steps and she'd yell,"CHEEKS!" I had had it so I took her (sideways in the car, seeds EVERYWHERE in the car), and this lady asked at hte pet store asked,"Why are you getting rid of this bird?" I actually couldn't answer her until the bird said,"CHEEKS!" It was going to be donated to a nursing home....Bet those folks didn't get much sleep! :) CHEEKS! :) Curbz

Mellons! Om nomnomnom :D Those look awesome. Good work!

Thanks and thanks for the potato info, Crabber! :) I've read about pH before and I'm getting a pH meter sometime this week. I also know a simple way to make pH paper from red or purple cabbage and coffee filters. If anyone wants to know more about that, let me know.
And I'm getting bags of sand and perlite and some more purple potatoes. :D I'm gonna try growing potatoes both ways - in very sandy soil and in 2 buckets of perlite.

I can def grow the onions outside but garlic, no way. I'm gonna do that in 18" deep buckets since I'm starting late and they take soooo long to grow. Well, after I soak them in liquid seaweed and baking soda. The plant food I have will prolly work for the garlic but I def wanna get a seaweed type fertilizer for the onions. I read somewhere that it works better for onions than the other ferts. :)

Wow. I still have a ton of reading to do.

Hi Trax where did you buy you onions? I haven't seen any like that before. I would like to buy some. lmk. I just looked online and found some at Gurney's but it said onion sets and not bulbs.

Hi Trax where did you buy you onions? I haven't seen any like that before. I would like to buy some. lmk. I just looked online and found some at Gurney's but it said onion sets and not bulbs.

I asked mom and she said she bought them at Wal Mart. :) They were only $1.58 for each pack and there's 80 bulbs in each one!

Thank you, I will check Walmart. Gurneys had them for $5.99. I am going to grow them in buckets and tubs. I would like some potatoe bags if I can find some at a decent price.

The best I can find is $12.95 for one that's 18" by 14 1/2 inches tall. But it did get some really good reviews. That was at Gardener's Supply Company online. :)

I grew potates in large tubs last year with regular Miracle Gro potting mix, I ended up with a lot of potatoes.

Trax
You can also grow the onions in perlite too. Same idea as the potatoes. I don't like this idea because of the petroleum products but there is a method of growing potatoes in old tires. You start with one tire, and as the potato grows you add another tire and soil and keep doing that untill about a month before it gets to cold to grow them in your area. Then you can keep them stored in the tires untill you need them. Need potatoes? Just take off a tire! LOL1. Another growing method is hay. Use chicken wire to make a "basket" about 3 feet high and 5 ft long. Nestle your potato slips in the hay so that they are covered by hay. Water when dry. This wirks great for soild that are very poor.

Please post the instructions for the Ph paper with the cabbage. I think that sounds interesting.

Cool! :) I def like the bucket method. I'll be getting 2 buckets and since we always have bags of MiracleGro I'm gonna try it using both - MiracleGro and perlite. The tire method sounds really cool too but I wanna be able to bring them inside if we have another killer summer this year.
I'll try that with onions too, thanks! :)

The pH-Scale
0-3.4__3.5-4.4__4.5-5.0__5.1-5.5__5.6-6.0__6.1-6.5__6.6-7.3__7.4-7.8__7.9-8.4__8.5-9.0
Extreme Acid ................. Strong Acid ...................... Neutral ........................... Strong base

9.1-14.0 is extreme base. Here's 2 methods I found for testing pH.

The red (or purple) cabbage method

Notes: The cabbage juice will stain your fingers but you can wear gloves. Distilled water works best.

1. Chop a red (or purple) cabbage into small pieces until you have about 2 cups of chopped cabbage. Put the pieces in a blender with very little water and blend it. The juice needs to be kinda thick.
2. Put it in a microwave-safe bowl and put that in the microwave. Nuke it till it just starts to boil. Take it out and let it cool off for about 10 minutes.
2. Strain the cabbage juice using a coffee filter. The juice will be pH 7 and the color will be a dark red-purple-bluish color.
3. Dip a coffee filter into the juice. Hang it up and let it dry. Then cut the filter into strips. The strips work the same way as litmus paper.
4. Test a few strips using chemicals. Here's a list of some chemicals that the pH has already been measured for:

pH 2.0 = Lemon juice.
pH 2.2 = Vinegar.
pH 3.0 = Apples.
pH 4.0 = Wine and beer.
pH 4.5 = Tomatoes.
pH 6.6 = Milk.
pH 7.0 = Distilled water.
pH 8.3 = Baking soda.
pH 10.5 = Milk of Magnesia.
pH 11.0 = Ammonia.
pH 12.4 = Lime (the chemical, not the fruit).
Ph 13.0 = Lye.

The red (or purple) cabbage color scale for pH.
pH________2_________4_________6_________8______ 10__________12
Color..........Red...........Purple........Violet........Blue.......Blue-Green.....Greenish Yellow

A quick method

This isn't very accurate but it can let you know if your soil is too acid or too base.
1. Get soil samples from random parts of the gardens.
2. Mix them together.
3. Put 2 tablespoons of the soil in a glass. -- Put 2 tablespoons of the soil in another glass.
4. Slightly moisten the soil samples with distilled water.
5. Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with 2 tablespoons of distilled water.
6. Pour the baking soda water into glass 1. If it fizzes, the pH is low or acid.
7. Put 2 tablespoons of vinegar in glass 2. If it fizzes, the pH is high or base.

I hope that helps. :)

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back