My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

GOSH she's STUCK in that NET again! I really don't grow veggies. This little plot of land can barely handle the fleurs and they ARE established. Can't move a darn thing any more! 6 lilacs and that goofy vine and tons of different hosta. Lenten Rose. Foryshia. Bamboo. Redbud tree. I like to try to have something in bloom at all times. SPEAKING of BLOOMING! Our HUGE old cherry trees have made a canopy over the WHOLE BACK yard. They do this every year and it is spectacular. When we were looking for a home, the dog and I would walk by this house and I'd think,"wish we could live there..." The realtor saw me crying on the way to settlement and she said,"Wait. I'm going to show you one more home." It's the home we're in! CHERRY TREES AND all! We are BLESSED to be in an end unit. We even have a bay window in the kitchen.So, CG you're on for crabbing with MTM and Rudy. :) Curbie

GOSH she's STUCK in that NET again!

So, CG you're on for crabbing with MTM and Rudy. :) Curbie

You know I can crab :D I should be safe as we don't use nets in crabbing ;) They might actually learn a trick or 2 from me. Do I get compensation for teaching :p ? Now about the winters, you are going to have to work on that ;) we shal have no temps below 65*, no snow! :D or you can move down here ;)

Oh Boy! I planted all my tomato starts over the weekend. Yesterday when I got home from work, I went to see how they were doing. UGH! :eek: the cut worms moved in mowing down about 10 plants. So I got a couple plastic bottles from the recycle and cut collars for some of the plants. I just high jacked a toilet paper roll from the bathroom at work and cut a few more. Going to see if I can get DE cheap. I am not happy :(

Oh I meant to take some pictures. I use soaker hoses around all my night shades. So this year under the hoses around the tomatoes I put oyster shells. I want to see if enough calcium leaches into the soil for the tomatoes. It is an experiment. I wll let you know if it works. It's organic and you get them free when you buy oysters :D We already know it has no affect on cut worms :rolleyes:

I am sure you could teach Rudy and MTM a LOT about crabbing. They just use the long handled nets (on a stick). They don't drag with a big net. They hang strings off the side of the boat and then take a nap in the sun. They use chicken necks as bait. I have noosed those little necks so many times. And guess who does not like crabs?? Moi. :) I have use for lobsters ~ not crabs :) Curbz

I can lobster too now. Shhhhhhhh. Randy is lurking with his awards somewhere
I like the take a nap part. I am all in for that :p

Ok so I hi-jacked a couple water bottles from the office next door to cut more collars for the tomatoes. :( they got a few peppers too. Grrrrrr.

I am sure you could teach Rudy and MTM a LOT about crabbing. They just use the long handled nets (on a stick). They don't drag with a big net. They hang strings off the side of the boat and then take a nap in the sun. They use chicken necks as bait. I have noosed those little necks so many times. And guess who does not like crabs?? Moi. :) I have use for lobsters ~ not crabs :) Curbz

There you go again.

Attachments

• Rotten Woman.jpg
    Rotten Woman.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 250
Wait ~ CG and Curbz are confused! I think the award goes to CG!!!!! however....i sneaking under the award....I did order lobster from Port Lobster in Maine. MTM doesn't know so it will be a treat for us. I tend to get in trouble but I am tired of corned beef and cabbage. :) ♣ Curbster

Anyone have any experience in growing artichoke? Thats one veggie that I can never get to grow properly in my garden. A friend told me that southern cali is just not a good place to grow artichokes because of the temperature but i dont know about that. Any ideas would help! thanks.

Anyone have any experience in growing artichoke? Thats one veggie that I can never get to grow properly in my garden. A friend told me that southern cali is just not a good place to grow artichokes because of the temperature but i dont know about that. Any ideas would help! thanks.

What procedures are you using? I know they grow best in a temperate climate with warm days and cool nights. Also, are you near the coast or more inland?

Hi Richy,

Trax is right, they do require some cool temps, so maybe for you they might be a fall or winter veggie. My neighbor grew some from seed last year and she did pretty good. They were planted for a fall /winter garden. We are zone 9a now so I bet our temps are about the same , you may be consistently warmer though. Sometimes with cooler crops , you can find seeds/plants adapted for warmer climates. Like asparagus, they now have a zone 9/10 version for sale. They still don't produce like they would further north.

I tried growing artichokes once but didn't succeed. There is a wide swing between our daytime and nighttime temperatures so there are lots of things that don't do well here. But we grow the best berries in the world. LOL

I've been wanting to try growing artichokes here and I did a ton of reading about them. I just need 2-3 months of cool weather with warm days and late September to December would be perfect here for that. :D And I could start the seeds in flats in the back room!
I could even grow them in pots but each plant would need a 20" tall and 36-40" wide pot since the plants are about 5 feet tall and 5 feet wide. :eek: But hey, I'm def gonna try. :D

That's about the size of my half-barrels on the back porch, Trax. I have four of them out there. One of them contains mint, another is reserved for a Sungold tomato, the third has a couple of Rosemary plants in it and the fourth has sage and chives.

That sounds very aromatic, Randy! I've had this silly rosemary plant for years. I do not take care of it and it always returns. I've had a Dusty Miller that has been in this shadow/window box for about 6 years! Update on deck Christmas tree ~ I don't think the tree will make it to Easter. :( Curbz :(

Just planted some peas, cool climate toms, purple carrots, onions and leeks. Snake beans are finished so I'll have to dig that bed up and do some more planting, probably garlic and fennel. Change of season time here so there's lots to do!

not planting much here this spring because I have 4 courses to take this summer then I student teach and am through. I'm taking a practice certification test today. wish me luck

I just planted the last of my okra and watermelons. I still have toms and pepers in egg babies and pots. I just don't have enough time :rolleyes:

not planting much here this spring because I have 4 courses to take this summer then I student teach and am through. I'm taking a practice certification test today. wish me luck

You are really busy this summer Lyn. Good luck to you and congratulations in advance.

I harvested about 3 potato plants to get these spuds :)

My acorn squash are just awesome.
And I counted 26 squash blossoms just on the acorns this morning!
It's a great day in the garden!!!!

Attachments

• !st harvest (800x532).jpg
    !st harvest (800x532).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 234
  • Acorn Squash (800x530).jpg
    Acorn Squash (800x530).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 259
  • squash2 (800x520).jpg
    squash2 (800x520).jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 244

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back