My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Our asparagus has only been planted for 2 years...may sneak a stalk or two from them this week, but most of them I have to let go until next year. We put in 25 roots. It is looking great this year.
Some danged animal ate all of my kohlrabi last night...grrr.

It is recommended to dig a trench around 2ft deep and at least 2ft wide. Fill the trench with well rotted manure, packing it down as you go. Then, cover this with some of the soil you previously removed! Plant the crowns so the roots grow right into the manure!
Use a mulch of well aged manure once a year!
That should do the trick!

Too much work for me!
I'm happy buying them at the market!

That is exactly how I have done it. Each year I dig the trench beside them and put in new compost. I think it gets too hot and never cold enough here for them to grow properly. I bought the "Zone 9" type but I think they just got my money :(

If you scroll back a few pages , you can see the pictures when I started planting and adding the new section to the garden. Thought you might like to see the progress in just a month or so of time.Area3 is the new section. At the far end is my corn which is not doing anything. I found out from my farmere neighbor you never plant corn on new ground:( well at least it's not new anymore:rolleyes: It is hard to see due to the size so I have a few close ups following also. these are 2 of my different types of beans. We have picked twice from them already.

Attachments

• area1 (800x533).jpg
    area1 (800x533).jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 246
  • Area2 (800x533).jpg
    Area2 (800x533).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 237
  • Area 3 (800x533).jpg
    Area 3 (800x533).jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 245
  • 021 (530x800).jpg
    021 (530x800).jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 020 (530x800).jpg
    020 (530x800).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 229
Tomatoes and squash are doing great too. I already have golf ball and larger size tomatoes. we have been eating from the squash vives for about 2 weeks now. They are really starting to produce well. I love to grill the scallop squash, you can't beat the flavor.

Attachments

• 013 (800x530).jpg
    013 (800x530).jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 219
  • 014 (800x530).jpg
    014 (800x530).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 245
  • toms.jpg
    toms.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 245
  • acorns (800x530).jpg
    acorns (800x530).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 253
  • scallop (530x800).jpg
    scallop (530x800).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 213
The first 2 picture are celery, which by the way, has the best flavor of any celery I have ever had. I am not that wild about celery so for me to say that ...is saying something!
The 3rd picture is curly parsley. I have had a hard time with it this year. For some reason it won't germinate. Only about 30% grows. :rolleyes: I will replant this weekend in a new location. The Italian parsley did fine.

Picture 4 is my collards gone wild. They are huge. I put up so many greens in Jan that I will cut and take these to the soup kitchen. They will be happy to have them. I have kale growing as well and turnips too. I have to get busy and get them out of the garden.

and #5 is my late cabbage. I have about 8 plants and the heads are just starting to form.
And this concludes the most boring picture you have ever viewed! LOL!

Attachments

• 022 (800x530).jpg
    022 (800x530).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 213
  • 023 (530x800).jpg
    023 (530x800).jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 222
  • 024 (800x532).jpg
    024 (800x532).jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 214
  • giant collardds (800x530).jpg
    giant collardds (800x530).jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 203
  • cabbage (800x530).jpg
    cabbage (800x530).jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 222
Thanks Ron. It has really started to take off. I just get so excited. I guess we all have our true loves. I told Tim I didn't want to go to work today because I wanted to sit in my garden. I know I might be a little over the top. I wonder if they have a "Gardeners Anonymous"

We have just over an acre now. Smallest property ever. I always am looking at acreage and wishing I had more. But I don't have time for what I have now. :rolleyes:This is the first year Tim has taken any interest other than eating what comes out of it. I think it is because he is stuck at home by his-self so much. He will call me and ask what needs to be done or can he pick this or that. This morning he called me and told me how beautiful it was in the garden. He actually told me he realized how much work I had put into it. That was really nice of him. Gardening is not a passive hobby. It take tons of time and effort, but is so well worth it!

Wow Crabber, I am wowed, that is awesome! I want to buy a smaller house with a bigger lot so that in retirement we can do that! Now we have a small raised bed with raspberries, a small raised bed with asparagus, a little bigger raised bed with tomatoes and onions, and an upcoming raised bed with pole beans to be. I planted the eggplant in a flower bed, planted jalapenos and green peppers in containers, and Bruce is trying cukes in an old stainless washtub from his mum. We don't have enough sun for veggies except in the front yard, which is devoted to grass and ornamentals.

Those pictures just make me hungry and sorry I don't have enough space to plant that much. They are never boring. thanks.

I really have never met anyone who can grow celery. I was yelling to MTM this morning,"WE need a CELERY patch!" He looked at me like I was nuts. We have 1/4 acre and it's mostly fleurs. The garden looks lovely, CG! Keep up all of yours and hubby's good work! Curbie

I stopped at the house to the east of us yesterday and introduced myself to the new neighbor there and welcomed him into the neighborhood. He has built a raised bed in the back yard that I can see through the filbert orchard. It's a rental house and I know the owner. But I told him that I would be planting a garden also and he was welcome to come and plunder the produce.

Just wonderful young Nancie, what a great crop you're going to have....I'll let you in on a secret, I take days off too just to be in the garden lol...especially when it's thriving I could be in there for hours!

Jade,
thanks for the compliment! I have seen where people have turned their landscape into edible landscaping and it is really pretty. Sounds like you might be leaning that way;)

Lynn,
Come on down I'll make you a garden veggie dinner!:D Last night we had garden beans. I have wax, green and purple pod all readyfor the picking. I like to mix them.

Ron,
Isn't it funny how people think a garden just grows.

Randy,
I had a neighbor who took advantage of a kind offer that I made like that, it ended up they didn't know the meaning of "share". Picked all my tomatoes and herbs! :rolleyes:

John,
There's no place like your own garden to spend time. It is a labor of love and the feeling you get from seeing your work pay off just can't be beat. But there is some feeling I get that I just can't put into words.

Randy, that was so gracious of you to offer your garden. I just received some spearmint from someone. I am trying to root it. Does that work? MTM said last night,"WOW! SOMEthing smells REALLY GOOD in here!" uh...it's the spearmint. I really don't know what to make with spearmint. Any ideas? I am truly just enjoying the aroma right now. :) Curbie

I haven't had a problem like that, Crabber, but my mother did one time when she allowed a co-worker to come and pick. She stripped the garden pretty well and it took awhile for it to catch up and start producing again. I will have three rows of beans though and that will produce about 5 gallons of green beans every day. I plan on having only one squash plant, one pepper row (about 35 plants), three bean rows, and the rest in corn.

We had a neighor who I offered to share our raspberries with back in ontario. I thought that she might just come over and pick a pint now and then, but she was taking so many that we weren't getting any. So I had to tell her to save some for us. Loved her, but sheesh!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back