My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Curbie,
Mint tea is good. Or diced mint in a salad is also good. Cut the leaves fairly small. It will 'cool' the salad down. Some people like mint peas, I don't care for Green peas so I have never tried it but I have heard it is good.

I guess setting ground rules for "sharing" is necessary for some people;)

Oh I forgot. We have had a couple days where it has rained pretty good, not all day but 1/2" to an inch. And with that has come the pest. The vine borers found my squash. I spent an hour last night cutting slits, squashing borers and spraying organicide. Grrrr boy am I not happy :(

I'm going to experiment and plant my squash seedlings in late June to miss the borers!
They do not tend to bother with my cucs!
Sowed some lettuce seed in cell packs this afternoon, and various drought tolerant annuals!

The pests here can be a nuisance too, you need something a bit bigger than a fly swatter:D

Attachments

• mama cass-8362.jpg
    mama cass-8362.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 230
  • cassowarys-8361.jpg
    cassowarys-8361.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 250
The pests here can be a nuisance too, you need something a bit bigger than a fly swatter:D

You don't say. We had some dope in western Kansas turn loose some ostriches when he got tired of caring for them. We would see them running along the roads for a time after that.

Thank goodness we do not own an ostrich. I wonder what they eat? Are you allowed byt the HomeOwnersAssociation to have an ostrich? Like how would you conceal the ostrich? Can you teach it how to 'duck'? Are they mean? You could probably make GREAT hats out of their feathers. Oh no....that's a peacock. Don't worry ~ I'll get the hang of feathers! Curbie

LOL! A ROASTING PAN for an OSTRICH !!!!! I have HUGE GIGGLES! Wonder if you can put them on a huge grill???? SHUT UP, Carol! just shut up! :) Curbie

You lot are really funny!:D They're not ostriches they're a native bird called a cassowary. They normally live in the tropical rainforests in the north of my state. They mainly eat native fruits and insects, but as they swallow the fruit whole, cherry tomatoes are a real favourite. The pic was taken on a friends farm which backs onto a Nat. Park, it's a bit unusual to see them out in the open but occasionally they come and visit to see what pickings they can grab. They tend to leave them alone when they show up as they grow up to about 6ft tall and weigh approx. 120-150lbs, too big to shoo away!:eek:

I'm going to experiment and plant my squash seedlings in late June to miss the borers!
They do not tend to bother with my cucs!
Sowed some lettuce seed in cell packs this afternoon, and various drought tolerant annuals!

Let me know how that works. I just replanted my squash, maybe I will have better luck with the second round

Oh I thought they were actually pets/food you were growing. Wild makes a big difference. They are pretty though.
We had a neighbor once who raised ostrich's for food. His wife went in to feed and maintenance the pens, and the male stomped her, broke her back and her shoulder. She laid in the pen for 7 hours before anyone found her. They could very easily have killed her. Yes I think I would let your pest be.

I had to go ahead and romove some dead squash vines and harvest the fruits. I had 2 huge scallop squash and 2 so-so acorn squash. I still have several vines producing but I feel by the time I get home I will need to dispatch them as well :( My new plants in a new area are about 6" already. We will see how they do.

Last edited:
Up here, since butternut squash tend to produce in late summer, it shouldn't make much difference in the fruit production! Squash bugs only have one generation, so if I bypass when they lay their eggs, I should have healthier vines without the damage done, and more fruit production! I'll do the same with the zucs, for the same reason!

John, I knew there were other varieties of the big birds, but didn't know which one that one was. There is a third variety I am aware of (emu), but I am uncertain as to the habitat of each. Isn't the cassawary the smallest of them? At 6 feet though, that sounds pretty large.

Yes Randy it is the smaller of the two but the females in both species are always around the 6ft mark. The pic of the solitary bird is a female, called Mama Cass by the owners. The cassowary rarely ventures outside the dense rainforest but the emu is more of a grazer sticking to open plain area.

That's a good name. I appreciate the music that Mama Cass left behind. Some friends of mine raise sheep and they have a llama to help protect their sheep from predators. The llama's name is Butch Cassidy. I'm not getting into that pasture when Butch is around.

Mama Cass and Butch Cassidy. Do llama's kick or bite? If THAT isn't a marriage made in heaven, I don't know what is! You know I also liked were Captain and Tenille ~ Chipmunk Love. But I know they eat veggies! Maybe right out of the garden. (Chipmunks eat vegetables also.) Curbie

I really don't know, Curbie. I know when I am around which isn't often, but I have that llama's undivided attention. Those same friends raise Rottweilers, so I don't go up to their place very often.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back