My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

This patch is now bare as I've harvested an unbelievable crop of pumpkins this year...lotsa soup and scones comming up ....glad they keep well:D

Attachments

• punks garden.jpg
    punks garden.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 220
  • punksjpg.jpg
    punksjpg.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 220
Awesome John! Do you get vine borers there? Just wondering, no matter how hard I fight them they are always a problem here.

I just cut the collards and took to the soup kitchen. I had a bushel basket. I need to pick beans when I get home tonight. And I have lots of tomatoes on the vine as well as grapes. They are so tiny but it should be a good harvest this year.

Pumpkin scones....got a recipe that you'd share? Thanks.
Hi Rocky this recipe is for a loaf rather than scones it's proved really popular. I had to convert the metrics to imperial for you so it may be a little out:rolleyes:...but not much! I also have one for pumpkin buttermilk scones too:)
Preparation Time 15 minutes Cooking Time 35 minutes
Ingredients
approx 1/2 lb peeled and deseeded butternut pumpkin, cut into 1" pieces
3 cups self-raising flour
2 tbs brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
3oz butter, cubed, at room temperature
1/4 cup milk, at room temperature
1 egg, lightly whisked
Extra self-raising flour

Preheat oven to 400F. Steam the pumpkin over boiling water for 10 minutes or until soft. Transfer to a bowl and cool for 10 minutes.
Combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Use your fingertips to rub in butter until the mixture resembles free breadcrumbs.
Use a potato masher or fork to mash the steamed pumpkin. Combine the mashed pumpkin with the milk and egg.
Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture and use a round-bladed knife to mix together using a cutting motion until the mixture begins to hold together. Bring the dough together with your hands. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 4-5 times or until just smooth.
Shape the dough into around 8" diameter and about 1" thick. Place on a baking tray. Use a sharp knife dusted with flour to cut 1/4"-deep slits in the top of the loaf to divide it into approx 12 portions. Sprinkle the top of the loaf with a little extra flour. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Serve warm, broken into portions and accompanied by butter or your favourite topping. It can also be made into a savoury loaf with the addition of cheese and /or chives...bon appetite!:)

Awesome John! Do you get vine borers there? Just wondering, no matter how hard I fight them they are always a problem here.
Hi Nancie no not much problem with those little buggers here. It's mainly mildew due to the high humidity and rain associated with the summer months. I put up with that as it makes the punks swell beautifully! Hope the rest of your harvest goes really well!:)

That sounds like a delightful treat John. Mm mm mm mm.
Lucky you with the borers. I am replanting squashes now, second crop should do better.

We got about 2 inches of rain yesterday and all my tomatoes got beaten down and bent. I spent an hour last night tying them back up and mending breaks. They looked pretty good this morning. So I am keeping my fingers crosses they all have tiny toms on them so I was really bummed :( I did pick beans last night , about 8 qts to put up when I get home today. !/2 will be dilled and 1/2 will be for cooking. Has anyone pickled Italian beans? I have some of those as well but have never pickled them.

Have you ever made Dilly Beans, CG? They are SO TASTY!I just read the ingrecients and it says (now this is impressive) Whole green beans, vinegar,garlic and dill and salt.They are awesome. Now they're packaged in a glass jar (Ball). I bought mine from The Vermont Country Store. Bet you can make 'em. It's worth a try. Cut the beans in half and marinate them in vinegar. Just a thought :) Curbie

That's what these are! Oh I love them. I was so tired I just pickled them all.

Attachments

• Pickled beans (800x532).jpg
    Pickled beans (800x532).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 221
I pickled some beans 2 years ago and maybe that will be another thing on our menu tonight. Or maybe cornbread....anyone have a good recipe for cornbread?

I have some in the pantry. My number one granddaughter loves them and I should have put some out when she was here Easter Sunday.

We had some of my pickled green beans last night for the first time. I think that they would be awesome with a bloody mary, ha. Or maybe with my homemade veggie juice. Maybe I will pick up a little vodka for some bloody marys!

I have several corn bread recipes, Curbie. One is probably as close as I can come to what I grew up with and then there are others that have some flour in them also. My favorite is the one that has no flour in it and made with buttermilk. Addition of some flour though makes the corn bread less coarse and holds together better. I will copy and paste a recipe, but then you can give me an idea of your preferences and I can post another accordingly. It's possible though that I have already posted those in the recipes section.

Corn Bread “Deep South Style”
(from sister Carla and Alber’s Corn Meal)

1-3/4 cup Alber’s white corn meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 cups buttermilk
3 Tablespoons shortening

Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Combine egg and buttermilk. Add to dry ingredients, stirring until just moistened. Melt shortening in a 10” (#8) iron skillet and add to batter. Pour batter into the hot skillet and bake at 450 degrees for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.

From Carla:
Now what she (Mom) did was not pour the hot shortening into the mix and then pour the batter back into the skillet. She would pour the batter into the “very hot” shortening and it would almost fry at the bottom. This is what would make the bottom of the cornbread out of the world with wonderful crust on the bottom with white fluffy corn bread. - - Makes my mouth water. (Carla’s words)

Shortening is what is in the recipe. I don't use it. I use olive oil.

Yummy Randy, I'll give that recipe a try myself!:) Planted the cloves about a month ago and they ALL came up....at least they keep well:D

Attachments

• garlic jpeg.jpg
    garlic jpeg.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 223
There is a very similar recipe where the only change is to add two tablespoons of flour. That doesn't change the taste all that much, but does help it to hold together. I also found out long after her death that mu aunt made corn bread by using one cup of corn meal and one cup of flour. That gives you a finer texture and it binds together well, but also reduces the corn taste. I have varied my recipe occasionally another way and that is to use the 'Masa Flour' which is a finer grind of white corn for making tortillas. I use one cup of the 'Masa Flour' and one cup of the regular corn meal. My wife really likes that modification. My mother was raised on a farm in southern Oklahoma and they raised their own corn for their stock and for the family. Back in those days, the yellow corn was field corn and was grown for the stock. White corn was grown for the family and was eaten fresh when they could, but they would mill the corn for corn meal to last them through the year. But because of that, my mother would never make corn bread from yellow corn meal. Even when I told her that the hybridization had changed the flavor and sugar content of some of the yellow corn, she would never deviate from her pattern. I have failed her though as I have used yellow corn several times through the years to make corn bread. It makes you feel guilty when eating it though.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back