Never fail pie crust

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kya, if it will make you feel any better, the dietician that I have for diabetes said that lard is better for you than hydrogenated vegetable oils. The hydrogenated vegetable oils are trans-fats and are the really bad actors when it comes to blood mud (cholesterol).

OK I have a question about lard.. What is it called in the grocery store??? I've never seen it here. We have Crisco, etc but never have seen lard in the store

Dawn I just put your pie crust in the refrigerator to chill. I used half crisco and half lard. I am making my friend a sweet potato pie and the pecan pie if I have time.

Laurie, it is there, but you may have to ask for it. I don't think I found it in the same area as Crisco though. I haven't ever cooked with it though. I use it for making bird food. I pour melted lard into a plastic drink container filled with birdseed and a cord with which to hang it in a tree. The birds love it. There is another Spanish word on my container, but I can't remember what it is and my lard is in the refrigerator in the garage. But the Spanish word for lard is also a California city.

No it is not in the same area are the crisco but on the same isle as the baking items.

Sometimes they keep it (lard) in the coolers or refrigerator section.
I do feel better knowing that it is better than trans fat. Thanks
Oh Dor I really hope it turns out good. I feel like I'm trying to pass a test. :0 :)

I was in the kitchen this afternoon and the word came to me. It is Manteca. That's the Spanish word for lard.

NEVER FAIL PIE CRUST
1 c. solid shortening
3 c. sifted flour
1 tsp. salt
1 egg
5 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. vinegar
Cut shortening into flour and salt. Combine egg, water and vinegar. Pour this liquid mixture all at once into flour mixture. Blend with a fork. Makes 1 double crust pie and one single crust pie

Is this plain flour you use for the crust?Thought I would give it a try tomorrow.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back