New from Seattle area

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Botann

I looked around and thought I'd join.
I have a large garden that I've been working on for over thirty years.
Mostly trees, shrubs and ground covers. Hopefully I will be able to learn, contribute, and post some nice pictures of my garden.
Mike

Hey Mike welcome to our little forum. That is one nice picture. We have many here that post nice pictures. Everyone loves to look at pictures so we encourage them. Hope you become a regular poster.

Thank you Ron and Lyn.
Glad to be here.
Here's another one taken in front of my bedroom window. OUR bedroom window! Lol

And you are a photographer too!
Great photos Mike!
That is a wonderful view to wake up to each morning!
I think we would all love to see more!

Welcome Mike from the other side of the states where it's freezing.....
Awesome pics, we love seeing pics, hope to see more from you.

I should be posting these pictures in the photos section, but with a quick glance I can't see where to do it. I think you can click on these pictures and it will go to my albums. Plenty of pictures there!
90% of the plants were obtained by seeds, cuttings, or trades. You won't see much of my house because it's a manufactured home. A small cabin I built a long time ago is rather picturesque though. My driveway is 1/4 mile from a three mile dead end road. No sense for curb appeal! I bought the ten acre horse pasture 34 years ago. I could not afford to buy it now.
Thanks for the compliments.
Mike......watching the Seattle rain.

Beautiful pictures MikE1 Welcome and thank you for shaing your talents. Hope to see more of your pictures and post.

Hello and welcome to the forum! Glad you found us, and those are some pretty impressive photos, nice work!

oh I just noticed you are from Seattle area. You get like tons of rain right? I could have a lush yard if we got rain. I did have a few years ago before our drought started. We have experienced some breaks from the drought but it keeps coming back. I have gone to native plantings now so things are looking up.

Hi Mike and welcome to our family.
Thanks for letting us see to yard. Those are some amazing pics.

oh I just noticed you are from Seattle area. You get like tons of rain right? I could have a lush yard if we got rain. I did have a few years ago before our drought started. We have experienced some breaks from the drought but it keeps coming back. I have gone to native plantings now so things are looking up.

You will probably be amazed to hear that we don't get very much more rain than you do.

Austin gets about 33 inches per year, based on a couple sources on the web. So, how much does "Soggy Seattle" get? 37 inches. Yes, only 4 more inches than you get!

Here's a table that will surprise you:

Average Rainfall for major cities
Seattle, WA 37.4"
Boston, MA 42.53"
Houston, TX 47.84"
Miami, FL 58.53"
New York, NY 49.69"
Washington, DC 41.80"

How is that possible? Simple, while you get "Gully Washers", we get "drizzle", "mist", "heavy fog", "showers" and, occasionally, "rain". Picture the difference between a hose and a mister, and you get the idea. (By the way, you've heard the old story about eskimos having a lot of different names for "snow" in various fashions. Well, in Seattle the terms "mist", "drizzle", "showers" and "rain" are all used by the local weatherman to mean different things, ranging from tiny bits of rain wafting through the air (mist) to regular old rain. We also see Thunderstorms, with Heavy Rain, but they're not that common.

What we really have more of than most is cloudy days. That's where Seattle is in the lead. This table tells the tale:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0762183.html

Look at the "days" column and you'll see the difference.

San Antonio - 82 rainy days
Seattle - 155 rainy days

That's the real difference! Not how much rain we get, but how often it's cloudy...

Last edited:
One more thing... Don't confuse Seattle with the Olympic Rain Forest. While you can see the Olympic Mountains from Seattle on a clear day, they're distinctly different climates. The wet part of the Olympics is on the west side of those mountains, and they get nearly five times(!) the rain Seattle does.

Storms off the Pacific Ocean drop much of their moisture on these west-facing valleys. Precipitation in Olympic's rain forest ranges from 140 to 167 inches (12 to 14 feet) every year.

When we moved down here 4 years ago they had over 42 inches in one year. the last two years we have had drought and extreme drought. We have not had the normal winter rain this year and we are slightly colder than normal. I know many people who are changing their plantings from tropical to native my cactus are happy and so are the agave and yucca.

Lynn, averages are only general indications, and they can, and do vary widely. One year you'll have lots of rain and the next will be dry. This winter my back yard has had lots of standing water, I haven't had that problem before.

I think native plants are always a good idea. They're adapted to the area and it's conditions. They're usually more hardy, have less problems, less disease, and can look great!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back