Office Plants have Developed a Strange Fungus

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

MichelleThomas1

Hi there,
Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed the plants in my office suddenly become infected with this white fungus on the stem. Can anyone identify what it is and how to treat it?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG00020-20110819-0929.jpg
    IMG00020-20110819-0929.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 443
Hi Michelle,
Welcome to Gardenforums.com
Looks like aphids. They are very common in house plants. There are a few simple ways you can rid your plants indoors of aphids with out using chemicals. The first thing I always do is get a wet paper towel with a little soap water on it. Then I just kind of gently wipe the areas where I see the pest. They have very soft bodies and will die easily. Then, for the ones that you cannot see, mix 1 tbs dish soap to 1 gallon of water and spray the entire plant. Especially undesides of leaves or fronds. If you are not into doing all that, you can buy indoor insecticidal soap at most places that carry garden or plants supplies ( walmart, hardware stores even Home Depot) You should spray all plants even if you don't see activity, as aphids are like a virus, you may thing you have escaped it only to get it a couple days later ;)

Could be mealy bugs too, aphids like a little more succulent growth generally. You could use the same treatment for either bug.

I agree with Jade, I think they are mealybugs, because I have a palm similar to the one in the picture and have a serous problem with them on it.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back