planting beneath tree

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

errol

Hello, I have a bradford pear tree several years old. I would like to plant hostas around it, but it seems the roots are rather shallow. Can soil, compost, be built up around the tree without harming it? Anyone had experience with planting, soil build up around trees especially with shallow roots? thanks for any suggestions and thoughts on this
Errol:confused:

Hmmm?
That's a tough one Errol!
It would be best to leave the roots undisturbed, as much as you can!
You can spread a thin top dressing of compost yearly, so it will break down and work itself into the soil. Adding more might cause problems since some trees like your pear have shallow roots for a reason.
I do not think hostas would be a good idea because you will need to disturb the root system of the pear in order to plant them, and there will be competition for soil moisture and nutrients!
You'll need to look at companion planting! There are a lot of different plants that will benefit the pear tree such as clover. Here's an article on companion planting for bradford pears: http://www.livestrong.com/article/209917-companion-planting-for-pear-trees/ And another one: http://blog.pennlive.com/gardening/2008/04/traffictolerant_groundcover_un.html

thanks Ron, I was kinda thinking on that line, but I wasn't sure. I will look up what you suggest about companion planting. I also was thinking of something in potted plants of some type too. Ron, you and alot of others on this forum has given me so much good advise on gardening. I just wish I had enough knowledge on the subject to return the favors.(maybe one day!!) :)
again thank you Ron

Ron, I looked up the site you suggested, I think I will try the Vinca (periwinkle) and also the creeping sedum
thanks again
Errol

I don't have periwinkle but I could share sedum later in the spring if you would like some...I have several types.

You're welcome Errol!

You could use creeping thyme as well as sedums, and sweet woodruff for the more shaded areas.

I started several trays of woolly thyme from cuttings last fall, and I'll be using them as plugs to start replacing the grass in areas where grass refuses to take hold!
With the snow melting I had a chance today to have a look at them...they are holding on nicely in their cell packs!

rule of thumb is 1/2" per year of added material under trees and not all at one time. Material should be added slowly as trees breath through their roots as well . I know it sounds funny but applying to much material around a tree under the inside of the ccanopy can damage the tree. limb damage as well as foliage and even death can occur. it is best to limit what you place under trees. it is actually recomended by arborist that you add no material inside the canopy.

Last edited:
Organic matter (peatmoss, compost and well aged composed manure) would be alright since it breaks down quickly, which helps loosen up the soil surface! 1/2 inch sounds about right per year!
Under trees I prefer to use something that can be mowed over once in a while to keep it looking fresh and short. In the fall mowing over fallen leaves into small pieces, is a great way to recycle them back into the soil under the trees.

thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions. I sure don't want to hurt my tree in anyway. Crabbergirl, just wanted to thank you again for the creeping mint you sent me last year. it seems to be coming out ok now that the weather is in the 50's and 60's now!! about time, since I have seen 8 snows this winter. thanks again

You are so welcome! I am glad that is has survived the winter, if not I have tons more, it is just popping up everywhere. I just yanked several fistfuls out of my daylily bed last night.

I would think that any other plant would not survive well unless it was a weed. The tree would take up most of the nutrients and compete for water is what I am thinking.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back