Recipes for Dor ( B&B Pickles)

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

gonepostal

Hi Dor--- Hope your Mom enjoys these-----

Bread & Butter Pickles

16-20 med. cukes (this is a good way to use up cukes that have gotten too big)
10 sm. onions (or 5 big ones;))
1/3 c canning salt
Slice cukes & onions fairly thin (a mandolin is great for this if you have one!), sprinkle layers with salt and let set for 1&1/2 hours. Rinse and drain well--then add to already hot brine.
Brine-------
3c. white vinegar
2c. sugar
2T mustard seed
2t. turmeric
2t.celery seed
1t. ground ginger
1t.peppercorns
Bring everything to a boil then pack into hot jars.
NOW---recipe says to pack in 1&1/2 pint jars & process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.(makes about 5-6 jars)
BUT--I pack them in whatever size jars I have (usually 1/2 pint or pint jars) and I dont process them. As long as your jars& lids are sterile and your pickles are boiling hot when you pack them you should have no problem. I dont think I've ever had any of these "spoil".
Just remember--if you do decide to "process" them--make sure all your jars are the same size.

Thanks Postal I will get them done this week. I have a few large ones that I need to use and my mom asked for B&B pickles.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back