Storm Updates

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Beryl"'
I thought this would be a good addition to the weather thread. If anyone has comments or updates on tropical disturbances, tropical storms or hurricanes , this would be a great place to post just those weather conditions.

Tropical Storm Beryl came ashore in the Jacksonville Florida area very early Sunday morning. Pushing close to a category 1 hurricane winds topped 65 mph at landfall. 60 miles south of Jacksonville we received high winds topping 50 mph with gust to 60. Rainfall was recorded on Sunday at 1.45 inches. Rain continued through Sunday and continuing today with frequent heavy downpours.

Minimal damage limited to flooding and downed trees and power lines. Tides several feet higher than normal but no actual storm surge. No storm related injuries or accidents have been reported.

Beryl crossed Florida heading west, then turned east for a short time and is now headed northeast across Georgia and heading toward Carolina.

Beryl is predicted to re-enter the Atlantic ocean and continue on the NE path. HOWEVER , as we all know this storm could possible hit the ocean , spin around, gain speed and take aim on the coast again. This is a storm that deserves your attention if you are on the eastern seaboard.

Last edited:
Thanks Dawn!

Yup Ron, that's what I was thinking. This was the season opener. Glad it wan't a double header.

Pleased damage was kept to a minimum and that all of you are ok. Nancie I know what you mean about the storms reforming, that happened a couple of times here last year and was pretty scarey at the time.

Thanks John. Storms are a double edged sword.We are having a lot of rain. My rain gage was glass and got broken so I have no actual inches to report but Beryl left on Tuesday , or at least they stopped tracking him. He had a wrap around tail that walloped the crap out of us on Wed. The weather guessers are saying that Beryl caused unstable conditions in the Gulf and that is why it has never stopped raining. It is raining right now. It poured yesterday morning and then began around 4 pm yesterday and is still continuing with no sign of stopping. But I would rather have the rain than the wild fires.

Ron, bring your rain barrels and come for a visit.

Hope it clears up for you soon Nancie. I agree about the rain rather than fires as we also tend to get both here in summer. Hopefully next summer will not be as bad, weather wise as we've had enough rain to last us for about 10 years. All the dams are full to overflowing, so here's hoping! It's just been so unpredictable over the last few years it's hard to know what and when to plant!

No tropical weather at this time, but it could change any moment. Here's blessings for you and yours John!

Thanks Nancie! The weather here will be pretty boring as we get hardly any rain and no storms until at least September....not that I'm complaining about the lack t/storms for the next few months mind you!;) Hope your weather patterns stay relatively stable, with just light rain so you can grow lots more beans!:D

While Chris spins out in the Northeastern Atlantic and no threat to land,
we do have a low near the Yucantan starting to produce lots of rain for Florida. That low has rotation and is expected to become a tropical system sometime early next week. Let's hope it doesn't go to hurricane status though. However, tropical depressions can dump a lot of water so flooding is always a risk. If this becomes a named storm it will be Debbie.

Lets hope it stays as a low for quite a while.....have there been any storms named Nancie or Nancy by any chance?:)

we had torrential downpours yesterday afternoon.....today is lovely and 80, but all of a sudden this incredible wind started.....had to close my windows as everything was blowing all over the house....

We are watching Debbie to see where she goes. Don't want anyone to get hurt or lose property but we need some really good rain.

Looks like Debbie will develop into a hurricane if it stays out on the Gulf!
They are saying this year will be an active year for hurricane development, how may reach land will depend on the course they take.

British Columbia is in the news with flooding alerts and warnings as well a evacuations from all the rain they are getting.
Janet,
They are saying summer will arrive in a another week or so!
So hold on to that umbrella!

I too heard that its going to be an active yr for hurricanes......thats scarey news, but after the strange winter we had....I not suprised at anything.

Lets hope it stays as a low for quite a while.....have there been any storms named Nancie or Nancy by any chance?:)

LOL! Hurricane Nancie/Nancy , if you ask Tim he would say she blows through from time to time :eek
Hmmm that's a good question. I was tryng to go back and look and can't seem to open that page. I did find the 2012 and forward list. Click the link to see who's next!:rolleyes:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

Debby

Ahhhh Welcome , or unwelcome Debby!
Currently this morning she is spinning in the gulf making no forward progress. Most of the prediction models have her crossing the state of Florida from the gulf. Even though she has not made landfall and remains a tropical storm, she has made a substantial impact on the entire state. We have been under tornado watches and warnings all night and continuing into today. One death attributed to Debby in south Florida from a tornado. High tide was at 8;30 this morning on the river, when I left for work the water was already at our back steps and my driveway looked like a flowing creek. The crest will be sometime this morning and continue rising until the rain stops.
I emptied my new rain gage at 9 pm last night , at 5 am this morning it was overflowing, which means we have had well over 5 inches of rain over night. It began really raining about 11 am yesterday and has not stopped at all. Sometimes so torrential that the only sound you can hear is the sound of the rain. Local forecast is calling for another 6-8 inches of rain today. roads are flooded , trees are pulling up out of the ground and making roads hard to pass.
She is a big rain maker right now, let's hope that's all she has to offer.

Nancie
At least your aquifers will be full of fresh water!
The next named tropical storm should be called Eek!

Last edited:
LOL! Hurricane Nancie/Nancy , if you ask Tim he would say she blows through from time to time :eek
Hmmm that's a good question. I was tryng to go back and look and can't seem to open that page. I did find the 2012 and forward list. Click the link to see who's next!:rolleyes:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

Hey thanks for the link...interesting to read. Let Tim know that he's safe for a while, couldn't see any Nancy/ie hurricanes for quite a few years.....:D
Hope Debby stays as a rain depression for you.....

Last edited:
We were trying to lure Debby over here to our coast so we would get some rain but no you kept her in Florida. Could you share a tropical depression with us, please? We could use the rain that you all have been getting.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back