Strawberry Question

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

gardendan

Hi everyone I have a question about strawberries, I was wondering is it normal for the leaves to start turning brown towards this time of the year? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope my strawberry's aren't in danger. Thanks again

Dan

Hi Dan and welcome to GF. My strawberry plants have turned brown and there's not much left to even think there's a plant but they will send out new growth and produce again next Spring. I'm in the southeast, zone 8 and our winters are mild, no snow or frozen ground so my info may not apply to your zone.

Hi Dan,
Welcome to Gardenforums.com.
Depending on the type of berry you have things maybe just fine. As the weather gets hotter and the sun gets stronger they do get brown. If you have ever bearing berries you will see them get a growth spurt as things cool down for winter and may even get another round of berries. Not really knowing where you are located it is hard to tell if this is a natural occurance or if you have and issue. More info would help us help you;)

Hi Dan
I don't have any strawberry plants but I wanted to jump in and say a great be WELCOME to you and we sure are glad to have you here with us.
Enjoy!!!!

Thanks everyone for the welcome comments. I do not have every berring berries. They produced once and had a few here and there, but nothing for a little while. Im so impressed at the way they are growing, alot of new growth with mine, it's crazy how much they are growing and starting new plants, next year is going to be an amazing year. Thanks for the help everyone

This is the first year that I have had Everbearing (Tribute variety) strawberries. Back in the spring, I pruned any flowers that appeared, to let the plants establish better. For a couple of months now, I have been harvesting a small bowl of Strawberries every day, from a plot of about 25 plants. I have been amazed that the berries have kept right on going, because we have had daytime high temps in the 95-100 degree range for well over a month now. I am curious to see how well the plants perform when the temperature backs off a little bit.:)

I still have a planting of June bearing Strawberries too... those produce a large crop of berries in May (here in Tennessee), and then they are done for the year.

Hopefully the brown leaves are normal this time of year on the plants, i tend to worry about alot of things, im sure its normal, since theres hundreds of new stems growing new plants, its most likely just giving more energy to the new plants, any more info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the warm welcomes also.. Thank you.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back