Tomatoes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

This is a row of my Better Boy toms.

Attachments

• toms.jpg
    toms.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 283
I didn't realize that if you click on the thumnail ..it gives a large view of the pic...I like that!

I used to live in Sumter, SC. Loved it! I lived there for about 1 1/2 yrs. I was there for Hugo. Right after Hugo the inlaws showed up and I left and didn't come back! LOL:eek:

I'm pretty lucky. My wife just has her brother left, but he and I are very close.

Better Boys are my fav. I planted 3 of them and 3 heirlooms. I want tomatoes for eating and will buy a few bushels down the road for salsa, whole tomatoes, and sauce, heck, they are only 6 bucks a half bushel, and I want to do some for fried green tomatoes this year. Already bought the jars. I will let you know how they turn out. I see that they have local asparagus now, I will have to stop and support them.

Great price Jade for the tomatoes. We sure can't get them for $6 a half bushel here in Texas. I would have all the salsa and stewed tomatoes I needed for that price.

Dorothy, something you may want to consider though if you have a CostCo or Sam's Club down there is the canned tomatoes. I looked the other day and the #10 (large) cans of crushed and diced tomatoes were less than $2.50 each. I have used those in the winter time when I wanted to make a batch of salsa.

Yes we have Sam's and Costco Randy. I will consider them when I am ready to make my salsa.

Dorothy, I found those little cookbooks. I found them by accident. If I had been looking for them at the time, I never would have found them. There is a shelf on the wall right behind my desk here in the basement and I had put them on the end of the shelf. The name of the book I was talking about is titled "Everyday Diabetic Recipes" and is published by an outfit called Favorite All Time Recipes. Let me know if you need anything further.

3 of my tomatoes are about 3 inches in diameter! I planted my chocolate cherries, and my green zebras today. I also bout 2 red bell pepper plants that are bigger. I am tired of waiting for the pepper plants to get bigger. I want to see something big!

Kim that is how I felt when I bought those tomato plants in the gallon pots. It is so therapeutic to watch my garden grow. Can't wait to get my first ripe tomato out the garden.

Dorothy, I found those little cookbooks. I found them by accident. If I had been looking for them at the time, I never would have found them. There is a shelf on the wall right behind my desk here in the basement and I had put them on the end of the shelf. The name of the book I was talking about is titled "Everyday Diabetic Recipes" and is published by an outfit called Favorite All Time Recipes. Let me know if you need anything further.

Thank you Randy. I will take this with me to the Half price book store of order from Amazon.com. I have been doing well watching my sweets and carbs.

My sister-in-law fixed me up with 6 small books and you might be interested in them also. One is a book of 48 Splenda recipes; ISBN-13:978-1-4127-2613-9 and ISBN-10:1-4127-2613-1. Another is "Quick & Easy Diabetic Desserts"; ISBN13:978-1-4127-2532-3 and ISBN-10:1-4127-2532-1. Another is "Campbell's 1-2-3 Dinner"; ISBN-13:978-1-4127-2523-1 and ISBN-10:1-4127-2523-2.Another is "Borden Eagle Brand 1-2-3 Dessert";ISBN-13:978-1-4127-2522-4 and ISBN-10:1-4127-2522-4. Another is "Easy Baking Hershey's Cocoa"; ISBN-13:978-1-4127-2524-8 and ISBN-10:1-4127-2524-0. And the last one is "Everyday Diabetic Recipes";ISBN-13:978-1-4127-2531-6 and ISBN-10:1-4127-2531-3. I have never used the ISBN numbers before, but I am sure that with those numbers it will make it pretty easy for any bookseller to check their inventory. I have no idea why they have two different ISBN numbers though.

I don't know if I will use all of them, but they were a gift from my sister-in-law. I have already seen some good ideas though and I used that one last Friday about "Eggs Benedict". My daughter was really impressed. It was fun making something that I knew was so special to her.

My tomatoes are coming along. I gave them a good watering today. I look forward to my first homegrown tomato of the year.

Attachments

• tn_Tomatoes #4.JPG
    tn_Tomatoes #4.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 261
  • tn_Tomatoes #3.JPG
    tn_Tomatoes #3.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 285
  • tn_Tomatoes #2.JPG
    tn_Tomatoes #2.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 256
  • tn_My tomatoes.JPG
    tn_My tomatoes.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 263
Dor, those look great! I took some pics and need to get them posted. Mine are really coming along also. I will get my first zucchini by Friday or saturday.

Dor Please what is the last Tomatoe in your Photos. The one that looks like a Christmas Decoration?
Thanks

Dor those are some great looking tomatoes. You are a little ahead of me on the size of your tomatoes. By next week I should get a couple of pitty pan squash and maybe a couple of cukes but alas no tomato.

Dor, I am envious of those tomatoes, but mine do have blossoms, about 6 weeks ahead of Ontario, our last frost date there was May 24th. Talk about a short growing season. We put 3 of ours out in mid april in Wall of Waters. They are doing awesome. Hopefully we will get them staked up this weekend.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back