Tomatoes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

My temps have been kind of "cool" for July...could that be part (or all) the reason our tomatoes are BIG & green...not BIG & RED!?

I laugh at myself trying to grow tomatoes. You all know how to do it and now....I can't WAIT for my 3 plants to die. They're in containers and we've had about 20 tomatoes from them so, enough. :) SEND TOMATOES when yours are ripe ~ C.

Chocolate refers to the color. If I remember correctly, brown and black tomatoes have a mutation that keeps some green pigment in the ripe tomato that combines with the red or pick to give them a brownish or blackish look. A lot of tomato aficionados swear the black and brown tomatoes have a richer, more complex flavor. I haven't grown very many of those varieties, but the ones I have grown were very tasty tomatoes.

I grew Cherokee Purple tomatoes this year, and they have an outstanding flavor!

I had no idea tomatoes came in so many colors. If you, Blue, are growing these varieties, I wonde why we up here don't see them in a grocery store? ~ Thanks for the explaination. Always soemthing to learn! ~C.

Me too C........didn't know about different color tomatoes....other than red & yellow.

I may try to grow some next yr..if I can find seeds (& remember..lol :)

Sandi I have some more Chocolate Cherry if you would like some just remind me. You too Curbhopper if you want to try them.

Men and their toys ~ new COMPUTER, new camera........geez, JW. :) You sure do have a lot of help here. Jules knows a lot also. I don't know what this means, Blue : "you can tray". Aren't we glad we all MAY, collectively, have enough sense to survive ourselves? Good luck ~ C.

LOL.... well, the new camera was a necessity since the girls (the Mrs and my two daughters) dropped not once but TWICE my really nice DSLR during their last trip to the zoo. None of them admit "who done it" but it really doesn't matter. The camera was trashed. :mad: So, I picked up this little point and shoot Kodak jobbie refurbed from ecost for like $89.

The computer is actually one I bought for a business I was trying to put together about a year and a half ago. That didn't pan out since the economy went into the tank and it's been sitting in the closet ever since. The ONLY reason I even got it out (I was thinking of selling it), was my girls had so many games loaded on my trusty old one that I could never sit down and use it. :eek:

Ok.... I FINALLY downloaded some editing software (I got tired of looking for anything in this confounded VISTA). First up just a couple of general shots of the maters. The first one was taken about two weeks ago. Notice the stakes which are 8' stakes pounded into the ground around a foot or so. So, there is nearly seven feet of stake above ground. There are a total of four plants (from left to right, Big Boy, Better Boy, Roma and Beefsteak) I also added two more stakes after this pic to help tie every thing up. I think they enjoyed their care no?....
238h83.jpg

I think I'm gonna need to top this Beefsteak out so it stops growing it's now officially ABOVE the top of the 7' stake. I had to use a ladder to tie the darn thing off....
faqukp.jpg

Gosh but I love Beefsteaks. This morning, the large one was turning pink! It should be ripe by the weekend (I HOPE). By the way, on that middle tomato, I have two like that, almost identical. Is that Blossom End Rot? I didn't think so because it's more on the side/top of the tomato rather than on the bottom blossom end....
2ufgemh.jpg

Here's a little closer shot of it (but the pic is blurry -sorry). The indentation is about a quarter of an inch deep and doesn't "seem" to be growing or "rotting" in any way. Maybe it's just deformed? I probably would have thought so but like I said, I have another one that is identical to that one.
mn01t4.jpg

Last edited:
Your tomato plants are huge!

I think what you're seeing on that small tomato is cat facing, which can happen when fruit sets in fluctuating temperatures or too much/too little water.

Huge may be an understatement ! JW, you certainly have figured out the camera and dragged the computer outta the closet. MIGHTY impressive. Blue, you know so much ~ never heard of 'cat facing' except when our cats are facing off. How do you ever know if it's too much or too little b/c they have the same effect ~ you can be having a drought but watering them every day??? ~ C.

I think what you're seeing on that small tomato is cat facing, which can happen when fruit sets in fluctuating temperatures or too much/too little water.

Ok.... that explains a lot. We had that REALLY wet spring where I was dropping blooms all over the place and the temps have been up and down a ton as well.

Here's a couple more just for fun. My Roma's are all getting huge and a few are starting to turn pink. I must have nearly 60 tomatoes on the roma plant alone. I just planted the single Roma, but I'm going to get a huge yield off of it. Unless ~80 or so per plant is the norm....
k02dew.jpg

And one of some Better Boy's still in their infancy.... I've kept all of the internal branches pruned back which has given the tomatoes a lot of room to grow which I think they have enjoyed. They can also get a fair amount of sun and plenty of air flow through the plants.
2lmqq08.jpg

As most of you know, this is my first garden in nearly 35 years. I just did the four tomato plants, a half dozen various pepper plants and some green beans. I've tried to go all organic and I think it's paid off. Even with the terrible spring, me planting WAY to early, and all of the temp variations, these by FAR are the healthiest tomatoes I've ever grown. ZERO bugs of any kind, no funguses at all (I kept the leaves pruned up off the gorund which helped I think) and now FINALLY, I have tons of fruit all over the place. The yield I'm going to get off of each plant is WAY more than I remember. I don't know if I have the Espoma Tomato Tone to thank for that, the work I did on my soil or the Tiger Bloom I used when the blooms started popping. Maybe a combination of all three I suppose. All I know is that I'm pretty pleased.

Last edited:
Ok, last pics (for now) I promise....

Well, my youngest came up and was "mad" at me because you could see her lower torso in one of the pics. :rolleyes:

So, to appease her I said she could "share" our good friend and beloved family member Dutch.... He's such a cutie and a GREAT dog.

Outside and ready to lend a helping hand wherever possible.
2qxcjnr.jpg

And, later inside when he'd had "enough" picture taking for a while....
123tdgi.jpg

I can get them out now so I won't forget Sandi. Pm me your address, I don't know if I still have it. I will mail them in a few days.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back