Wanted info about planting by the moon

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Everyone has choices and I choose to use the almanac as a "tool" to help me make the most of my garden. Other "tools" I use are alphafa pellets, cottonseed meal, mushroom compost and small pecan shells. Those are my choices, maybe I could have as good a garden without all my "tools" but I like doing what I do.

No matter how you plan, plant and harvest your garden I wish everyone the best with their gardens.

I don't watch the almanac with planting flowers, maybe I should, it's possible they might look and grow better..I don't know but I won't plant vegetables without the almanac.

I'm not saying that the almanac is fool proof but I'm not going to take the chance either. It's a personal decision as to when or how one plants. I surely wish everyone a bountiful harvest no matter what methods they prefer.
I'll continue follow my ancestor's way of doing things as I know it works for me with my vegetables. There's nothing worse in the garden than beautiful, lush, green, long rows of bean bushes and nothing on them!
It still amazes me.. so many things are effected by the moon, the tides turn according to the moon's phases and even wild animals feed by it too.

Mainegal, I have been wanting to try this method for years I read a little on it but never did it..I will read this thread when I have time.It does indeed have my interest.Thank- you and thank all for posting!

I trying to Id trees for a friend ...I do not have a tree eye *LOL grrr..

Kale:D

Gloria Dewey get's his hair cut a few days after full moon, that's the decreasing of the moon. He says his hair doesn't grow as fast when he gets it cut then versus when gets hair cut on the growing of the moon, before full moon.

I get my hair cut when it starts to affect my hearing. LOL In truth though, if I can grab hair on the sideburn with my thumb and forefinger, it's time to get a haircut.

My older neighbor (Dub),who at one time was a farmer, always tells me when and what to plant. He plants only by the moon. I stick to the almanac for my region but with working all the time I can't always plant on the right day. I had the biggest corn crop one year when I did plant on the best day . Stalks grew to 12' and were loaded with ears. Dub swares by the moon. He always has great crops.

I'm confused, is it the same date for everyone to plant certain things on certain days?
Should I plant my tomatoes, cukes, squash, beans, etc this sun the 24th. I'm in zone 5 portland maine area
I shouldnt plant any seeds on the 25th and 26th.
This is what I read on a site
I haven't gotten a book yet so been searching on the net

Laurie you are in a different zone for planting than I am so not sure about your planting. I do know that for my area today and Wed are good planting days.

I've got about 15 OFA and get my sons one every year just for all the good articles. Mine's in the bathroom. :)
My grandma planted by the moon phases and the reason was light differences. Even if it was overcast there's still the radiance that makes certain above ground producers do better and root types do better planted during the new moon. They're in more darkness.

I've fished by moon phase, too, for the same reasons. A couple days either side of a full or new moon you'll get more bites.

Deck we like to fish by the moon as well. A friend goes cat fishing on the night of the full moon.

Laurie, thanks for the link. I did plant more seed in my garden on Thursday.

Suppose to be another cold one tonight here, in the 30's what is up with these temps
tomororw is June 1st.
So holding off planting the rest of my garden
the other site said it wasn't a good weekend to plant either

Last edited:
Laurie it's a good thing that you are holding off planting the balance of your garden. The seed will germinate better with the warmer soil temps. I hater you are having to go through all the worry with regards to the weather and your garden.

Well I planted by the moon and it seems to be working because just 6 days after I planted my beans and corn they are up!

That is wonderful myfedora. Keep us posted on the growing of your garden. Inquiring minds want to know.

Crabbergirl gave me this site today when I was chatting with her on the phone
thought i would share as you can put your zip code in and it gives you your time to plant, etc
http://www.almanac.com/garden/plantingtable/index.php

I just tried your link it doesn't work :(
I am looking for past moon phases and to compare with my planting times to see when I did it by accident. I have a past book (bought after the fact/time , outdated) that was rather interesting I should have great logs for the past 6 seasons on all veggies.Wondering if there is one now online; I can't afford a present dated almanac and it would be fun to research.

Kale:)

Last edited by a moderator:
When we first started gardening we planted by the almanac, but got lazy over time and went with the "plant on Good Friday" rule. But, that became a problem because there were always late frosts and it was too difficult to try to cover such a large garden. Now we just plant when the soil temps seem warm enough for the crop going in the ground.

There are plenty of older friends and neighbors who wouldn't think of planting by anything other than the moon and I say "more power to them". Whatever works just works, superstitious or not, based on scientific principles or not.

My husband's buddies definitely fish by the moon. I've been known to call off at work for a "fishing day" when someone lets us know the moon is right and the shellcrackers will be bedding at Santee in the swamps. I can't remember if it's the week before or after a full moon, but it's exciting to be in the thick of things with 20 boats or better all crammed into a relatively small area and everyone pulling up "slabs" as fast as they can bait up and put back in the water. These guys know exactly when and where to go and have been doing it that way for years!

Back in 2006 I was given a calendar ...GARDENING BY THE MOON...they have three versions
1) Long Growning season
2) Medium growing season
3) Short growing season

I was not able to use it as it is the year we sold our house in California and moved back to Oregon...it is filled with great information though...here is the link to the site
http://www.gardeningbythemoon.com/

I don't know if it would help you out, but I have at least 17 issues of the Old Farmer's Almanac in my bookcase. I think there's planting tables in all of them from what I remember. If you'd like me to look up dates for you for specific years I should be able to do that after Christmas sometime.
My grandma used to plant by moon signs, but I don't know if it was everything or just certain things. I never learned her specifics unfortunately.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back