WARNING Easter Lilies are poisionous to cats

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wanted to post this in the house plant section and get the word out. Everyone that I have talked to today didn't know this.

WARNING!!! Easter Lilies are very poisonous to Cats. I didn't know that and I had one and my female cat ate the leaves today and threw them up. For some reason I looked on the net about Easter Lilies and saw that they are deadly to cats so called the Emergency Vet and rushed my baby there.
They will give her fluids for 48 hrs to flush out her kidneys. Hopefully she will be ok and won't go into kidney failure.. Please keep my baby girl Freckles in your prayers. She will be 10 on Monday the 12th. I'm so sick about this as I had no idea. I would have never brought one into the house. I can't lose her as her brother and I will be lost with out her.

Kya D

Good reminder Laurie
I hope your cat is doing fine. It sounds like you got her to the vet pretty quick

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went to see her today and she was doing good. She was so glad to see me, she started singing away. She has not vomited since she has been there so it's a good sign.She has not eaten anything either but being in a strange place,most of them don't. I forgot to bring some of her food with me as I was going to as I knew Rusty wouldnt eat either at the vets. She is still on the iv's to flush out her kidneys and will be until tomorrow afternoon. Got to call tomorrow to see if she can come home and I took Tues & Wed off work as she needs to be watched for a few days to make sure she is not having kidney problems like drinking too much and peeing too much or not peeing at all. Thanks for asking

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update on my baby girl Freckles. She came home today and is very happy to be home again. I have to watch her for the next 2 days to see if she is drinking or urinating excessive or trying to urinate and not be able to. If she shows any of these signs then I need to get her to the vet. She needs to go see her vet on Thurs and have blood work done to make sure her levels haven't changed. I took the next 2 days off. Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers.

PRH

Update on my baby girl Freckles. She came home today and is very happy to be home again. I have to watch her for the next 2 days to see if she is drinking or urinating excessive or trying to urinate and not be able to. If she shows any of these signs then I need to get her to the vet. She needs to go see her vet on Thurs and have blood work done to make sure her levels haven't changed. I took the next 2 days off. Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers.

Trust things are going ok again,I've been reading your posts and sending thoughts,prayers,vibes and afew hugs along the way!! :) * amazing how our fur babies become family sometimes really fast,huh??

Last edited:

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Phil
Thanks for the prayers and thoughts. She is doing well, back to her normal self. Yes it is amazing how quickly they become part of the family. They are 10 now and hope I have them for another 10 yrs. I'll be lost with out them.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have had lots of kitties. I found they were expendable pets when you let them outside and you live near the country. I've had several that were inside cats that became part of the family. We don't have any right now. Just the dog.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com