What Am I Growing!?!?!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

MacStinson

Hello everyone! This is my first post. I'm looking forward to digging deeper into this forum.
I'm well into my second year of gardening, up here, in Northern Michigan, and my garden is doing pretty well so far.
I'm growing snap peas, cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes, broccoli, carrots, bak choy, jalapeños, green peppers, fennel, beets, onions and squash. Let's just say I'm still learning!
Anyways, I come to you all with a question, "What kind of squash am I growing?"
I planted a packet of seeds labeled "Winter Squash". But I have no idea what particular kind they are. I also have no idea when to harvest them or what to look for. Or if they're healthy. I really have no one in my life that knows anything about gardening, so I don't know how to find this information out.
Any and all information and adivce is appreciated.
Thanks in advance, all!
Also, here's some pictures:

0830011540.jpg

0830011538.jpg

0830011541.jpg

They dark green ones are zucchini squash They are summer squash and should be picked when very young about 6" long.

Oh BTW welcome to our family, I sure do hope you stick around and grow with us.
I usually plant winter squash for storage but like summer squash too.
I'm glad you figured out how to post pics. They are helpful with this ID.
Again welcome!!!!!

Zucchini!

I knew it! I must have screwed up somehow. I thought the label on the seed packet said "Winter Squash". They looked like zucchini but I was unsure, having never grown squash; I thought maybe they were just young winter squash of some kind. They're huge now, though. Are they edible, still?

Yes they are still edible!
You will need to scoop out the seeds!
I've had overgrown zucs with a ground meat mix put in the cavity then baked!
It is good with cheese on top!
If you do a search online, you will find there are numerous recipes on what to do with large zucs!

One of the other members will more then likely share their recipes!

Zucchini bread, and cake are good ones!

I grate mine and use it in spaghetti sauce!

Last edited:
If you pick them now then it will encourage them to set more squash and then you can get some that are younger.
Depending on how tough the skins are you can slice the zuchs (in rounds) about 3/8th inch thick and dip them egg wash and dredge them in seasoned flour then fry them in a little oil till they are tender.
Old zuchs can be shredded and and made into zuch bread

Last edited:
Welcome MacStinson
Using canola spray, the green zuchinni & the straightneck squash (sliced or chunked) are tasty cooked together w/onion, garlic, salt & pepper. Throw in some diced red tomatoes and you have a yummy sauce to put over rice or pasta. Add some hot peppers if ya like it spicy.

Kya..love the floured version too..have you ever tried baking them w/some parmasean cheez & bread crumbs? Sliced thin they cook crunchy..its very good..try it sometime. I use the spray oil to bake also :)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back