what to do with daffodil's

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

errol

A friend wanted me to dig up about 125 or more daffodil's. they had bloom good this spring, but she decided she was tired of them after several years. So I could have them just for digging them up. they still have some green on them, but most are starting to yellow. I have dug them up, brought them home, now could anyone tell me what is the best way to treat them? they have large healthy bulbs, and look very healthy. should I just plant them (after dividing them) where I might want them located, or should the bulbs be saved untill this fall? Sure was a heck of lot work digging these up!! I put them in some tubs of water when I got them home.
thanks for any advise
Errol:confused:

Since they are finished their cycle, it is best to store them until Fall when you can plant them!
Things to do:
Let the foliage yellow and dry, then you can trim them off.
Wash the bulbs to remove any soil, and space them out so they can dry.
Let the roots dry up on their own, when dry and brittle you can snip them off!
To store them you can, make sure the bulbs are dry! Place in cardboard boxes and stow them away in a cool dark basement! Try not to pack the bulbs too tight or they will rot!
2 layers of bulbs per box would be great!
Then you can forget them until fall!

"I" would just replant them where you want them.
Plant them at the same depth as they were when you dug them water them good and they should do great

thanks Ron & Kya D, I sure did not know what to do with these. I'm sure proud of the day I found this forum!! You guys & gals have sure helped me out with gardening! I didn"t know there was so much to learn about gardening, and at my age!!! lol
thanks again for the advise and information
Errol

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back