Recent content by BattleScott

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. B

Tomato blossom end rot

Thanks for all the tips! I never thought about tums, duh! It seems to be mainly on the tomatos closest to the top of the plants, could that be an indicator that it may just be to little water here? It has been extremely hot and dry for several weeks. We've been watering frequently, but...
  2. B

Garlic

Thanks! it tastes even better. It is one of my favorite things to grow, just love digging it up and getting that fresh garlic smell.
  3. B

Tomato blossom end rot

Have never had this happen before, but this year we are getting some blossom end rot on several of the roma and san marzano tomatos. I have seen calcium defficiany as well as low water both suggested as reasons. They are new beds just put in this spring, anyone have any recommendations on a good...
  4. B

Garlic

Don't let the scapes (curly q's) go to flower, it will reduce the size of your bulbs because the plant sends all the energy and nutrients to the flower. Once the scape has grown to a complete loop and you can see the flower bulb start to develope, cut it where it exits the stem of the plant...
  5. B

Anyone Use Plant Netting?

Anyone used this netting or fabric on Squash and Zucinni? Got attacked by vine borers last year and need to find something to prevent them.
  6. B

Saving seeds..Did I do this right?

We have had great results by: - collecting the seeds, rinsing them off in a fine mesh wire kitchen strainer to get rid of as much "non-seed" residue as possbile. - dry them on paper towel to get rid of excess water. - spread them out on pieces of wax paper and set outside to dry. The...
  7. B

First spring for herb garden

Thanks for the tips! I was ready to start cleaning them up since the weather was great this weekend and thought I better find a place to ask. Looks like I found the right place!
  8. B

Tomato Favs

Better boys for sandwiches and Romas for cooking, especially homemade vodka sauce :)
  9. B

Seeds in a blanket

We have excellent results using the starter pellet trays and refills. The germination rate is very good and transplanting into the beds once mature enough is a breeze.
  10. B

First spring for herb garden

Hi, new member. We planted an herb garden in a reclaimed flower bed last year and it did great. We planted basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano and purple sage. What a great addition to the garden, I can't believe we never had one before this! I know the basil will not come back, and we have...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back