Anyone Growing Watermelons?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
We downsized the size of our vegetable garden and watermelons were not in the original garden plans. Well we have "volunteer" watermelons that have popped up so we are going to make room in the vegetable garden. Don't you just love it when you have "volunteers" that seek you out to be a part of your garden.

What varitety of watermelons are you planting this year? I know the moon and stars watermelon "volunteers" but not sure about the other plants, may be Stone Mountain watermelon.

I love watermelon, our season is not really long enough, i do have some started in the house but not sure how they will do once outside. not sure what they are called. i probably should have started them a month or so ago to get a head start on them growing

My son planted some sugarbaby, sugarbaby yellow seeds I had, and some Charleston I received from Gloria. Some of them are already up. He planted them for me on Wednesday I think of last week. I hope they do well.

We can only plant sugar baby melons and even then sometimes our season isn't long enough.

I would love to plant some watermelons but I just son't have enough room. I love the yellow meated melons but you can't buy them.

I don't have a lot of room either Kim but I have a corner where the phone company box is so my son built that area up planted the seeds and now they are growing already. He blocking it somewhat so that the yardman wouldn't weedeat it. When he comes back we are going to put some type of fencing around it.

Maybe next year I will try it. I will just buy them this year. There are people here that sell them on practicly every corner.

at $5.00 a watermelon we are planting them for sure! I love the moon and stars. I need to get busy and plant them or they will not be ready by the 4th. I do have cantelopes on the vine already though!

Oh, CG, I love all kinds of melons..........I want some right now! I am making my garden bigger next year..........no question about it!!!!!!!!!!

Dor, those seeds were Jubilee watermelons and they can grow up to 50 pounds. They're about the sweetest I've ever tasted but big! RJ won't plant any other type. We have about 4 one hundred foot rows planted this year and most are from seeds saved from last year. They're all up and growing after the rain we had in the past few days.

Ok Thanks Gloria. If we only get a few I will be happy Gloria. We only have a small space. Everthing I planted last week is up. I hope I have a good harvest.

Dor, those seeds were Jubilee watermelons and they can grow up to 50 pounds. They're about the sweetest I've ever tasted but big! RJ won't plant any other type. We have about 4 one hundred foot rows planted this year and most are from seeds saved from last year. They're all up and growing after the rain we had in the past few days.

Wow Sure wished I lived closer to you Gloria. Have never seen a watermelon that big and 4-100' rows., that's alot of watermelons

I haven't seen that many rows Laurie since I was a child and Mr. Jack Wise stopped growing watermelon. We got all the watermelon and canteloupe we wanted from him. He was my father's friend.

Gloria that is definitely a lot of watermelons. Good luck on your watermelon crop.

I haven't heard of them for a long time, but my Dad told me that they used to grow "Tom Watson" watermelons on the farm in Oklahoma. He told me of loading the wagon up with those big melons and taking them to the train depot and shipping them to the eastern states. That area around where I was born was just right for growing watermelons. Both my grandfathers had farms there and my maternal grandfather lost his farm in the days of the "Dust Bowl" in the depression years.

Dor & Randy,
A southern childhood is the best! When I was a kid we still had a lot of share croppers who would drive mule wagons around the area selling their crops. It was a site to see their farms acres of one or 2 crops.Sometimes they would call you over as you were walking by on a hot day just to gibe you a tummy full of melon.But even more fun was when the mule wagon would come through and your mom would buy something and you got the chance to feed the mule while she was "shopping".

Nancie, my dad was a dairy farmer until I was eight or nine and his friend would leave the watermelons and cantelopes and some long ones that my dad called quailmelonsl at the edge of the yard while we were stil in the bed. When we got up my dad would yell across the field for us to put them in the house or we automatically knew to put them in the house. We had so many that we would put some under the beds to keep them cool in the summer. We put one in the freezer for our treat in the afternoon.

My dad's youngest sister is youngest than I am and was like a sibling to us and boy did she love watermelon and still does even more than we did. Those were the fun days in summer.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back