Casseroles

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kim,
I make something like that (squash)but I add chunked tomatoes, mushrooms, but leave out the cream. Never thought about the cream but boy would that be yummy. I think I 'll try that next time I make it;)

Hey crabbergirl, Please post your recipe. :)

Blackeyed Pea Casserole

1 can blackeyed peas
2 cans Jalapena blackeyed peas
1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
2 cups cooked long grain white rice
1 lbs Velveeta. cubed
2 cans rotel or your favorite diced tomatoes with chillis(I use the store brand or whatever is on sale)
1/2 chopped medium onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
salt and pepper to taste

Brown the ground chuck and drain the fat in a calander. Saute the onion and celery in and sit aside. Drain the blackeyed peas by pouring over the ground chuck in the calender. In a large bowl, pour the meat and blackeyed peas, the tomatoes, rice, onion and celery. Mix well. Add the cubed velveeta and mix. add a small amount of salt and pepper to taste. Pour into a buttered casserole dish and bake at 350n until the cheese is melted.

A friend of mine, gave this to me. She made the familysized and I tried to cut it back. We may this at all holidays and family dinners.

Last edited:
That's another good one to try, Miss Dorothy. Blackeyes were a mainstay of my diet when I lived at home with my family, but they are rather foreign to my Buckeye wife. She was introduced to them by my family, but she hasn't ever done anything with them herself. I really should do this one for that reason if for no other. Yet I think that the younger generation would smile upon this dish.

Blackeyed Pea Casserole

1 can blackeyed peas
2 cans Jalapena blackeyed peas
1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
2 cups cooked long grain white rice
1 lbs Velveeta. cubed
2 cans rotel or your favorite diced tomatoes with chillis(I use the store brand or whatever is on sale)
1/2 chopped medium onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
salt and pepper to taste

Brown the ground chuck and drain the fat in a calander. Saute the onion and celery in and sit aside. Drain the blackeyed peas by pouring over the ground chuck in the calender. In a large bowl, pour the meat and blackeyed peas, the tomatoes, rice, onion and celery. Mix well. Add the cubed velveeta and mix. add a small amount of salt and pepper to taste. Pour into a buttered casserole dish and bake at 350n until the cheese is melted.

A friend of mine, gave this to me. She made the familysized and I tried to cut it back. We may this at all holidays and family dinners.

Hey Dorthy, My huband will love this one. I wonder if I can half it? Kim

Yes you can half it Kim. I cut it down quite a bit already, cause Debbie used to make 3 times this much.

Randy, my children didn't like blackeyed peas, so when I first tasted this I thought I had a winner. We have it all the time now. I think it might work for your family too. If you don't want it hot just use the plain blackeyed peas. I haven't tried it with canned pinto beans yet but my friend Cass so. I am going to thought.

I have another recipe. I woke up this morning with a really bad sore throat and I have been bored. So this is what I do. Sorry!

Baked Jambalaya

3 slices bacon, cut up
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
3 green onions, sliced
1/2 pound cooked ham, diced
1/2 pound keilbasa, sliced
1 can (28oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 can (14.5oz.) beef broth
1 cup water
1 tsp. thryme
1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
1 1/4 cups long grain rice, uncooked

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon and drain on a paper towel. To the drippings add celery, bell pepper, and onions; cook until vegetables are tender. Add ham, keilbasa, tomatoes, broth, water, thryme, and Cajun seasoning. Mix well. Bring to a boil. Stir in the rice and bacon. Pour the mixture into a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with foil. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir before serving. Makes 6 (1 1/2 cup servings)

Used to be a song about that, Miss Kim. I have watched Emeril on TV make stuff like that. He comes on about the time I get on the treadmill. But I found out today that I can use the "on demand" feature and watch some of the other people when I am on that thing. Today I watched Ellie Krieger and Ina Garten. They had some good stuff on there too.

Miss Dorothy, my daughter slowed down enough today for me to ask about her tuna casserole. She uses about a pound package of egg noodles and cooks them first. When they are done, she mixes them with a large can of Campbell's cream of chicken soup, and two cans of chunk tuna. Then she sprinkles shredded cheddar cheese on top of that and bakes it in the oven until the cheese melts and it is warmed through. If you want a more cheesy flavor, you can mix some of the shredded cheese in the mix, then sprinkle some on top. We had that again this evening, so it was a good opportunity to ask.

Chicken with rice
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts salted
l can cream of mushroom soup mixed with 1/2 can dry white wine
4 cups cooked white rice 1 1/2 cups sour cream
Place chicken breast in baking pan, pour soup/wine mixture over chicken. Bake 350 for about 40 minutes. Stir sour cream into chicken mixture when done serve over hot rice.
I usually add extra muchrooms to this.

Chicken with rice
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts salted
l can cream of mushroom soup mixed with 1/2 can dry white wine
4 cups cooked white rice 1 1/2 cups sour cream
Place chicken breast in baking pan, pour soup/wine mixture over chicken. Bake 350 for about 40 minutes. Stir sour cream into chicken mixture when done serve over hot rice.
I usually add extra muchrooms to this.

Annette, This sounds so good! I so could make it healthy too! I want something warm and comforting right now! This sounds like it would hit the spot! Kim

Ok. I have been waiting for some one to post another casserole, and no one has; so here we go!

Tamale Pie

1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. ground meat, beef or turkey
1 small can tomato sauce
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 can whole kernel corn
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup olives, sliced
2 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded

Cook ground meat, onion, and garlic until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the tomato sauce, mushroom soup, corn, olives, and seasonings. Mix eggs, evaporated milk, and corn meal together and stir into the meat mixture. Pour the mixture into a baking dish; sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese on top. Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and, sprinkle the remainder of the cheese on top. Return to the oven and cook until cheese is melted. Let it stand a few minutes before serving.

I have made tamale pie several times, but used the recipe in our old Better Homes & Gardens Cook Book. I saw that your recipe used some evaporated milk, Kim. I use some of that in some recipes too, but hardly ever use a whole can. When I was growing up, my Dad used that as a creamer for his coffee. When I have some left over in a can, I pour it into the carton of Half & Half that David uses for his coffee. I don't think he knows the difference if there is one.

Question for all those That have posted Recipes...

Can you freeze them as it's just me so if I'm going to try some of these they will have to do for more than one meal
Thanks

I think casseroles would freeze well. I have frozen things like chili or stew though and I think they are not nearly as good after being frozen.

Wow some wonderful recipes
Can't wait to try some of them but have to wait until I have my blood work on Thurs.
Crabber, would love your low fat squash recipe.

Here is another casserole:

Vegetable Rice Casserole

1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 pound zucchini, sliced
1 pound yellow squash, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
3 Tblsp. fresh basil, minced
1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
4 ribs celery, sliced
2 large tomatoes, sliced
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 Tblsp. olive oil

Coat a 13x9x2 baking dish with cooking spray. Sprinkle the rice in the bottom of the dish. Layer the zucchini, yellow squash, onion, and half of the basil; top the the peppers, celery, and tomatoes. Combine the brown sugar, salt,and pepper; sprinkle over the vegetables. Drizzle the olive oil on top. Cover and bake 350 degrees for 1 hour or until tender. Sprinkle with remaining basil. Serve hot.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back