Miracle grow question???

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

sunflower3

Some one came to see me and wanted to know if you use miracle grow on your plants does it make them non-organic? So i got to thinking about it and thought this would be the best place to find out what you all think?? You may have used miracle grow potting soil so does that make the plants non-organic too? I thought miracle grow was just nutrients to help the plants grow,bigger and healthier? But am I wrong??

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my opinion if you use the Miracle Grow it would be non organic.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Miracle Grow IS NOT an orgainc fertilizer. It is chemical in nature. Organic gardening is free of chemicals. If you are looking for something easy that mimics Miracle Grow try any one of water soluable organic fertilizers. Ace has an orgainc line as does Lows, at least in my area.;)

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't know this..or rather ..it never crossed my mind! Good question Sunflower, I guess we learn new things everyday. Thanks for the info Crabber.

plantlover

Miracle Gro is supposed to be nutrients to make plants grow....but the nutrients aren't derived from NATURAL or non-chemical sources. If you want to go organic, use something like composted manure, well rotted leaf mulch, fish emulsion, fish carcasses, bone meal or any of the countless other organic fertilizers. To be classified as organic, they must be taken from natural and non-chemical sources, but if you are hard core organic, then the ingredients in the fertilizer must have come from organic sources as well.

Blueaussi

Miracle Grow is this irritating, un-itchable spiky burr of a peeve for me. Their products have taken over the shelves in most stores, so you have very little choice in commercial potting soils or fertilizers any more. And while their products are complete, they're all high nitrogen. I don't know how many times I get asked "I have a <insert plant of your choice> and it's really healthy looking, but it doesn't bloom". Get 'em off the Miracle Grow and the plant will bloom, and, as a bonus, any problems with aphids go away.

And the sheer cold genius of the marketing...getting consumers to use a product that makes the plant look lush, but does nothing for the soil, so when they run out of Miracle Grow, they have to go and buy more. ARGH!

Miracle Grow isn't evil, it's a simple way to boost a poor grower or to quickly correct a specific deficiency problem; but the over-marketing sure makes it seem evil sometimes.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Amen!!! Not to mention the environmental destruction is does.
Compost tea is also a great organic homemade fertilizer and it also helps to prevent blight in tomatoes and other nightshades!

Scarez

Miracle Gro is supposed to be nutrients to make plants grow....but the nutrients aren't derived from NATURAL or non-chemical sources.

I agree completely. I like to make, and use, Worm Compost Tea. Gives my soil all the nutrients my plants need, without any chemicals added.

Jade

I think that I am too inorganic to add anything. I do compost and recycle to the max, but I have always used "greenhouse" fertilizers on my stuff. I applaud all of you who are using organics. I am thinking about having a load of composted mushroom soil delivered next spring to topdress our yard and beds. We do have a compost pile started out back, but it is mainly very nasty greenbriar that is in there right now. We just had two yards of leaf compost and 3 yards of topsoil delivered to do our new beds and help in some problem areas in the yard.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow! Wish we could get the mushroom compost. There is nothing here we are left to create our own.

sunflower3

I create ours too crabbergirl, from what ever I can get my hands on to, to make compost. I just used all I had in my 2 lasagna gardens so now I have to start all over again, one pile should be ready in the fall if i keep it turned and wet and warm. but will save it for the herb garden it will need to have it for the winter gets here. found some more leaves and pine needles on our shed roof, will use the roof rake from winter to get them down and start them working too.

Jade

I have a great mushroom cookbook that I got at the Mushroom Museum in Kennett Square, PA. That is right next to Longwood Gardens, a great place to visit if you are ever in the area. We lived about 5 minutes from there and got a year pass when my kids were little. We used to go three times a week. It gave me my horticultual fix and gave them time to run. That was the only good thing about living in that cabin.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
My wife and I are the only ones that like mushrooms here. But I sprung for a carton of mushrooms the other day and she and I are going to have sauteed mushrooms on our grilled steaks tomorrow evening.

GardenBear1

I'm all for being organic in my garden and try not to use chemicals when I can but when it comes to epie I need the help of Miracle Grow for the largest bloom I can get and not some small 3 inch flower when it should be a 10 inch flower and to make my own it would take a lot of time and that's time I need on doing cutting for next year potting or working in the shade house or even working in the yard so some times we need some extra help this flower should have been over 10 inches but only made 8 inches not good enough for me

noidpink001.jpg

sunflower3

I guess we all garden different, if you have the time for compost good for you, it takes time each day to put items in the compost and get it just right. I compost by just dumping the pile and adding to it for a month then turning it every day if i remember and sometimes its not broken down enough like for my lasagna garden but that didn't matter its in the bottom of the box. But I use miracle grow if I think a plant needs a boost and I don't have the compost like now as I have used it all up and use it on the house plants in the winter, i don't want compost in the house,Yucky!!. Anyways thanks everyone for your thoughts, it's good to know what others think about gardening.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crabbergirl check with some of the garden centers in your area. I buy bags of mushroom compost that is reasonably priced.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a great mushroom cookbook that I got at the Mushroom Museum in Kennett Square, PA. That is right next to Longwood Gardens, a great place to visit if you are ever in the area. We lived about 5 minutes from there and got a year pass when my kids were little. We used to go three times a week. It gave me my horticultual fix and gave them time to run. That was the only good thing about living in that cabin.

Think they have that cookbook on line to order? I am always looking for new veggie stuff.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com