My banana project

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Curbie, passionfruit is really easy to grow here. I've a got about 5 of them and I only planted one, the rest is spread by the birds lol. You can't beat the flavour of a fresh pasionfruit, delicious!
Trax, I'll take another pic of my banana for ya, it's only a small one, but it's growing every day.

I honestly don't even know what a passion fruit looks like, but it IS a vine, right? I keep coming up with it may look like a pomegrante? Is it sweet tasting? Does it have a lot of seeds in it? A Curious Curb (PS ~ Trax, thanks for all of your advice concerning these banana trees. When a leaf turns yellow-ish, should I cut it off?)

No prob! :) I usually cut off yellow leaves unless the plant doesn't have very many healthy ones. Banana plants can feed off dying leaves but if the leaf looks like it might have a disease then it's a good idea to cut it off. And I'm late for school. :eek: later.

I honestly don't even know what a passion fruit looks like, but it IS a vine, right? I keep coming up with it may look like a pomegrante? Is it sweet tasting? Does it have a lot of seeds in it? A Curious Curb (PS ~ Trax, thanks for all of your advice concerning these banana trees. When a leaf turns yellow-ish, should I cut it off?)
Curbie you've never ever seen a passionfruit? It's definitely a vine and off the top of my head they come in about a dozen different shapes, colours and sizes and the pulp of the fruit is full of seeds which you eat as they're quite small mine is comming into flower and I'll post a pic when it does as the flowers on these plants are quite spectacular. The flavour of the fruit varies with the different varieties mine is a sweet hawaiian variety.:)

Sounds absolutely yummy, Wombat! When my toes get 'unbroken' and I can put on a shoe, I will look for one at the grocery store. Thanks ! Curbie :)

Guess you and I, Randy, need a little more passionfruit in our lives! LOL! I know what a kiwi looks like ~ not a passionfruit. I need to get out more...... Curbie.

Passion flowers are awesome, I like them even more than Hibiscus! :) They have curly feelers too so they can attach themselves to almost anything and not get slammed down by the wind. And if you have one vine (It'll be about 20 feet long or more) that makes a flower you'll have 6-12 vines the next spring. :D
My faves are Vitiflora, Purple Tiger, Sunburst, Foetida, Lady Margaret, Sherry, and Crimson Tears. But Edulus is the one they usually get the fruit from but you can eat any passion flower fruit. Just cut it in half and spoon out the pulp. But it does taste best when it's totally ripe.
And you can make toppings with it too.
Btw, I'm putting a recipe for Passion Fruit Pie in the Recipes-Dessert section. :D

Do you think I can grow one around here (zone 7)? Would it last over the winter? Geez, I have a banana plantation ~ may as well branch out! :) Curbie

Back to bananas for a moment ~ this one plant (George) doesn' look very well. Anyone have an idea on how to perk him up? Or is he justing 'molting'? I don't think that's in a banana dictionary. Is our heat kind of crummie-er for George? We have VERY DRY heat in this home. (crummie-er is basically Latin for 'crummy' but past tense! You thought I didn't know Latin!I don't :)) Curbz

Hey do >>> I <<<< need help with these trees. I don't know how much to water them. I am SO confuseled. I am shove them one place to another place. I do NOT know what I'm doing. Could someone please help me keep these Happy Campers alive? THIS is a ROAR! I can't lose these plants. Gosh, am I yelling ~HELP !!!!! Curbie

Wow! :eek: Have I been outa the loop or what??
Hey Curbie, how are your banana plants doing? :) I wanna see pics! :D

My last one died but I'll be getting a Velutina and a Zebrina banana plant soon! Yay! :D I'll be growing those in pots this summer.

My poor guys froze back :( We only have had one ...count them one stupid freeze and I should have protected them , they would have been fine :( They will come back soon. Still very warm. low of 65 with high of 80.

My little banana has gone crazy, with all the rain and humidity it's taller than me now! Can't wait to see your pics Curbz. When are you getting your new plants Trax? The blood bananas are really eye catching and the pink flowers on the Velutina look really spectacular. I tried a Velutina once and the fruit is very nice except for the crunch of the seeds lol. They'll be a great addition to your 'nana collection.

What's a blood banana? I am trying not to overwater these trees so I'm 'stepping' back fomr watering BUT OUR AIR is SO dry. I don't want these puppies to die. What is a temp you can put them back outside b;c our temps are falling. We woke up to 70° but I don't want them to 'crash and burn'. I put them outside so we'll see.....I don't know what I'm looking for though.Geez, nothing like a Curb! :)

Get a $1 spray bottle at Walmart and mist them everyday. Only water the pots when they are dry. ;) I am misting all my indoor plants.

That's a good idea to mist,CG. I am TRYING to be a good 'MOM' to these plants but I don't know if they're dieing or going dormant. Clueless in Olney :)

I'll bet that's really a pretty plant, Wombat! I am still kind of concerned about my trees. I don't know if they're becoming dormant or what's going on..... HMMMmmmmm. Thanks Wombat! Curbie :)

My nana's have new leaves. I can hear them purring. MTM asked me the other evening,"Now WHAT are you going to do with these stupid trees." I said,"Trying to keep them alive right now!" Water them. No, don't water them. I have this goofy plant that has wrapped itself around our kitchen chair....Who knows about poinsettias? (Wrong thread again......) ENjoy your bananas! :) Curbster

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back