My dog ..the stalker

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have a hen with a single baby chick. My dog is infatuated with this chick to the point of stalking it. All day long she's following the hen and chick and hiding behind trees and bushes to get a closer look. Look close at the last 3 pics, you'll see her behind the bushes, first on one side, then the other.

Attachments

• tn_April 24, flowers & dogs 029.JPG
    tn_April 24, flowers & dogs 029.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 335
  • tn_April 24, flowers & dogs 030.JPG
    tn_April 24, flowers & dogs 030.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 314
  • tn_April 24, flowers & dogs 031.JPG
    tn_April 24, flowers & dogs 031.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 300
  • tn_April 24, flowers & dogs 032.JPG
    tn_April 24, flowers & dogs 032.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 325
It's raining this morning.. she's afraid of bad weather but she's already been out stalking again. Came back in soaking wet and only because I made her come in. It's humorous to watch.

She wants her own baby! The nurturing instinct kicks in even in animals that have been altered. I had an old "fixed" dog that would steal puppies from other Mom dogs when I was raising dogs. It was the funniest thing in the world. The mom dog would be like"ok take it I have more than enough to take care of" LOL!

Years ago I had a german sheperd bitch dog that weaned her puppy off so she could nurse a kitten that the kids hauled home. She nursed that kitten for months and months.

That kitten was 6 months old and almost full grown before she quit nursing it.
She was really protective of the kitty

I think that mother's instict is amazing. Did they maintain any kind of relationship afterward?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back