My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I had half of my chest freezer waiting for my bumper crop. Oh well, next year the "big guns" come out...actually I am trying to figure out how to keep them away without killing them. I have a while to get it figured out.

Hey Jade,
I have been using Neem oil as my all purpose bug spary combine with my hot pepper spray and it seems to be working. Also organicide works really well. Sorry about your pest. That really is maddening!

Nothing worked on Chipmunks for me...cayenne pepper, chopped up bars of soap, cat hair, Bruce hair, moth balls, netting....NOTHING!!
I bought chipmunk killer, but felt guilty and returned it...but may go back and repurchase it.

Oh ... LoL! No not chipmunks , sorry not sure what I thought I read. LOL! Old age!!! Boy ain't it fun!

Last edited:
You could try bitter apple spray, it taste horrible. You can buy it at any pet shop. I would test each plant I wanted to spray. It says you can use it on anything but I wouldn't trust that on my plants.

I'm starting my fall gardens. :D I think I finally know what killed almost all the plants and I don't think it was acid rain. I talked to a man who grows tomatoes and he said he used garden cloth to keep the sun from burning the leaves. But he said the cloth wasn't over them when it rained and his tomatoes didn't get damaged. He said that rain drops work like magnifying lenses and can help burn leaves. We were getting rain when it was in the 100's so that's prolly what happened to our plants. We never had rain in the 100's before.

Anyway, I re-dug up my hot pepper garden and my bean garden (that I never used yet). I'll use the hot pepper garden for onions and potatoes after I add bags of sand and other stuff to make the soil loamy. I also dug up most of the garden that my banana tree was in. The only things there now that are still alive is a mum plant and the horseradish.

The horseradish is very healthy and only has one burned leaf. And the bell peppers are making peppers!! :D The tomatoes look like... but at least they're still alive. Now they can have some good weather to grow in, yay! :)

Here's some photos of those gardens. I still needa clean up 4 more gardens but dunno what I'll plant yet... except I will get and plant that Fern flower bush that Ron told me about.

The Beefsteak tomatoes. I can't believe they're still alive after 2 1/2 months of 100's!
6114190645_c035070d34_z.jpg

Beefsteak tomatoes by Trax, on Flickr

The Tangerine Pimento and Green Bell peppers. And some of the peppers they're making! :D
6114737898_6edf54624a_z.jpg

Sweet Bell peppers by Trax, on Flickr

6114192531_6841a7d04b_z.jpg

6114739172_7f2d577eb7_z.jpg

6114740006_2802f86abb_z.jpg

The Horseradish! There are 4 of them now!
6114188047_8c7c26033c_z.jpg

Horseradish by Trax, on Flickr

The official mascot for this summer, LOL! The Thistle plant! :D
6114735496_3c7dc99ae8_z.jpg

Thistle by Trax, on Flickr

The hot pepper garden. I'll use this one for the potatoes and onions.
6114184875_62c2574b07_z.jpg

Garden for potatoes & onions by Trax, on Flickr

The bean garden. I was waiting for the 100's to end before I planted the beans. I didn't know it would be 2 1/2 months... :eek: Now I can plant the beans! :D
6114731930_febcbc9131_z.jpg

Garden for beans by Trax, on Flickr

Most of the old banana garden. I haven't decided what to plant yet. If anyone has some good ideas for fall veggies for this garden, please let me know. :)

6114186835_0328f2a7fc_z.jpg

New garden by Trax, on Flickr

Since we are finally getting some weather that is not in the triple digits I can start my fall garden. In between studying I can get some mustard and turnip greens, tomatoes, okra and I don't know what else planted.

Awesome,Dor! I don't know anything about okra. Trax, I've never tried to grow horseradish or potatoes. How do you 'harvest' horseradish? ~ Curbie

WTG Josh!

I harvested this eggplant this morning!
It's around 2lbs!
This cultivar is Park's Whopper, and it is!

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 245
Hey Dor,
Okra loves high heat. :) You could prolly do beans too since they grow fast.

Hey Ron,
Omg! :eek: That's huge! :D Congrats!

Hey Curbie,
Okra's easy. :) It loves high heat, grows fast, and fried okra is totally awesome! But never let the pods get too big. If the tip of the pod breaks off easy then it's ready to eat. If it doesn't then don't try to cook it. It'll be way too stringy and tough to eat and it def won't taste good.

Harvesting horseradish is not as easy, lol! The root has to be used immediately after you dig it up or it can get bitter and taste like...
The leaves are edible but nobody ever eats them. Let the horseradish plant grow all summer. When the leaves die after the first frost, dig about a foot deep and cut the tap root. Nobody can pull one up cause the roots are way too big and way too deep.
Next, cut the leaves off and cut off the side roots. Put the bigger side roots back in the ground so they can grow next spring. Horseradish is perennial outdoors in zones 2-9.
Very important: Rinse the dirt off and use a veggie peeler to peel it like a carrot BUT keep the root at arm's length from your eyes. Fresh horseradish root is waaaay stronger than onion when it's being chopped up. Make sure the kitchen is ventilated too.
Chop the root into pieces and put them in a food processor. If the chopped up root is too wet then strain the water off. Add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar and a pinch of salt then pulse the processor to mix them in. Then pour it into a jar and put it in the fridge. It will keep for 3-4 weeks and it's great on crab cakes! :D

2 more things: Only use roots from plants that were growing that summer. Old roots get woody and have a nasty flavor. Fresh horseradish is twice as strong as the horseradish at the stores.

Btw, if you use it on crab cakes, the best way is to make horseradish mayo. I'll put the recipe for that in the What's for Dinner thread. :)

You know what I'd like to grow (you can laugh) ~ Snow Peas..... AND, I don't have a food processor, Trax :) Since MTM just caught all these crabs(58), I should get busy planting horseradish. Do they come in seeds? Gosh, and people come on (Mindy) to learn. Trax, you have to go welcome her. ~ well... nobody has to listen to me....curbie

Well, you can buy horseradish seeds or you can wait 1-2 weeks till the tubers arrive at your house in the mail. :) I'll pack them very carefully and send them by priority mail. :D
Btw, you can just chop it up really good with a sharp knife but you really should get a food processor. They're tons of fun for making tons of stuff! :)

Last edited:
Oh Trax, don't send me your stuff. You keep that and I will find seeds and then forget where I planted them. :)It takes heat though, right? I'm still worried about the banana trees and when MTM brought home ANOTHER banana tree I thought, "Well George gave it to me so it's name is George." "MTM, look at GEORGE!" but all I can think of is George, George ~ George of the JUNGLE, WATCH OUT for that TREE!" :) I watched a lot of cartoons when I was a kid. Pink Panther was my favorite. ~Curbie

I have been taking all my stuff to church and giving it away. I should be taking pics, just too lazy! I have pickeld a bunch of peppers some I used my sweet pickle mix, then added habs or chilis to make them with a kick, some are just sweet. I will donate them to the church for the Harvest Market for fall festival. They really turned out tasty!

Everything is doing well too. My fall crops I planted from seed are up and I plan on buying plants the end of this week. Should be a good winter

I cannot believe you can grow plants in the winter! That's so wonderful CG that you think of others. You must have a big yard. Do you have raised beds? I seem to grow marigolds, nastruiums, Dusty Miller, and basil. Oh I have this plant that we got on the OuterBanks ~ Looks like a poinsettia. I have kept thing plant alive for 2 years so far. I drag it INSIDE , I drag it outside. THEN I drag it INSIDE and drag it outside. We got it at Austin's FISH Market! MTM was buying FISH and I was buying plants outside the fish market. I am a multi-cultural goofball. :)

Curbie,

We have pretty mild winters. Usually between 0-5 freezes in a "normal" year. So I can grow cold hardy crops through early spring and then plant my warm crops. Some years we get really cold years and that messes us up. I am praying we have a warm winter.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back