My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Randy, I make my cornbread using the 2nd method with the 1 cup flour and one cup cornmeal and by pouring the hot shortening into the mix and then back into the hot iron skillet. My family loves some good hot cornbread and butter. My mother eats hers with buttermilk. I don't make it as much since we are trying to cut calories.

I used to think that was the northern way to cook cornbread, Miss Dor. But then I found out my aunt did it that way and she grew up on the same farm and in the same house my mother did. I don't know where she went wrong. LOL I love warm corn bread in sweet milk, but I have found a few that preferred the buttermilk. I don't make it too often, but in the cooler weather you can't beat corn bread to go with chili, beans, or soups. Woodstock (Miss B) turned me on to lintel soup and I fix that fairly often in the cooler weather. Actually, today would be a good lintel soup day or chili.

Mmm mmm cornbread! I like mine with jalapeños in it. Some people down here make it with whole corn, bacon, jalapeños and cheese.
Or they drop the batter on top of a pot of greens and call it corn dumplings. Any way you slice it, it's good.

I have so many beans. My wax beans seem to be the best producer. I have dilled them, canned them , made them with potatoes and I still have beans. I have wax, green, French and Italian. Every year a different crop does extremely well. Last year it was peppers, this year beans. I want a tomato year!

Beans I can count on here, but tomatoes are always a gamble it seems. We eventually get some, but the yield is slow but short when we finally do get some ripe ones. We can usually count on the cherry tomatoes though.

I love cherry tomatoes. The kids can just eat them out of the packaging gizmo. I don't like to waste a WHOLE tomato. We eat a lot of salad so that really helps also. Curbz

I do have tomatoes on the vine, lots of cherry's too. But I know the weather will eventually take them out. If we get a storm they will be done. We had a brush with the first of the tropical storms this past weekend. Alberto skirted the coast of Georgia and NE Florida and raised tides and winds. Then he turned back NE and headed out. Hope that is not a sign how active the season will be. :eek:

I planted radishes, kohlrabi and beans on Sunday and with all of the rain they are all up. Now if the critters just stay away from them. We are going to net our blueberries this weekend. They are ahead of schedule. I am thinking that they will be ripening while we are on our trip to Nova Scotia. My college friend in Maine has the first of our Lobsters lined up for next Thursday night. She sent me a note about a lighthouse that we need to visit on our way to her house. I am getting excited. Hope the hip can handle all of this sitting. It is a 20 hour trip.

All I have in the veggie garden is a patch of garlic and clump of multiplier onions a two short rows of silverskin onions!
It is a good year for onions, and the garlic is growing wild with the heat!
Toms are doing great in their peat pots...almost ready to place in larger pots, the sweet mini peppers are growing great in deep pots.
I'm only growing Cheroke Purple and Brandywine Red...they do really well in my sandy soil and algae mulch!
Only growing 4 Parks Whopper Eggplant this year! They were hard to even give away last year!

I have peppers on my peppers, eggplant on my eggplant, cuke flowers on the cukes....wow. Amazing.
Oh and tomatoes on my tomatoes.

I have a tomato plant and pepper plant. I gotten one tomato so far and more coming. I have several peppers set on now.

It is that time of year! So glad to hear success from your gardens :)
I canned more beans last night. I am out of jars must get some today.Pulled a couple of my garlics and they did fantastic! Planted the second planting of bok choy and it is up.
Fighting vine borers in cukes and squash but I will wage war this weekend

I would love to grow an eggplant. I used to dislike them but now I love them. You have a great trip Jade. Lyn, that's great. Nothing like a 'home grown tomato'. I keep planting flowers ~ KNUCKLEhead! Curbs can be like that! Happy Memorial Day everyone. Curbie

Haven't started the cucs or the squash!
I'll be sowing the cucs this weekend in pots and wont plant them out until June!
I'll start the squash and zucs around mid June and wont plant them in the garden until the end of the month! Hopefully I'll miss the dang squash borers!
Yellow and green beans will go in this weekend...maybe!

I haven't tried eggplant for years. I didn't like it when I was a kid. I should at least try it again.

Eggplant is really a very balh vegetable but you can put make eggplant Parmesan with it. I cut it up in 1/4 slices and add tomatoes and cheese and garlic. It really is yummy. I don't peel it. I think you'd like it, Randy. Curbz

I was going to put the little guys in a tub, but didn't know if we would have a waterer during our vacation, so I put them where I was going to put zinnias. They are doing great~

WOWEE! Where are you going on vacation? I ordered seed but they haven't come so ....it saves on POTTING soil! :) Curbie

Curb,
We are taking a driving trip up along the east coast stopping in Connecticut for a night, Mass for a night, maine for a night...then to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. I was just trying to put my addresses into my GPS and my blood pressure quickly went up until we figured out that my GPS doesn't have Canadian Maps. Now to update that and on with it. Bruce's nephew gets married in Halifax next Saturday. We leave Wednesday and get back the following Thursday. Hopefully the hip does fine. It should be a pretty trip, alot along the coast. The wedding is right on the ocean...boy the hotel was expensive!!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back