New! From South Dakota

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kokabel

Hi all! I just started an account here after ending up on a few helpful threads after googling. I'm 25, living in a small apartment (but with a little outdoor cement flat) and decided to try to grow as many veggies as I can for myself and my SO.

I grew up in Southern Ohio and over the past few years have had to move where I am now- I went from a zone 6 to zone 4- It's taking me a while to get used to such long winters! But I've done a lot of research and am going to try out some colder weather plants I'm not familiar with. Because I have to grow in containers, this season should be a HUGE learning experience for me!

Some plants I'm going to try out this year: Lingonberry, Freezonian Peas, Oak Leaf lettuce, Green Salad lettuce, Little Gem lettuce, Scarlet Runner Beans (most worried about these in this climate o_o), Thyme, Oregano, Cilantro (might keep that inside half the time), Chives, Chard, Kale, and tomatoes (Heidi variety).

As a kid I grew up on a small farm and helped with the garden a lot, but I NEVER used containers. Now I'm going to try trellising beans and peas in pots. So it should be an eventful year. :)

I try to focus on organic-slanted gardening (I'm no purist, but I like to be careful!) and conservative minded practices. I live in the city now and don't have much access to what used to be basics for me (like free dirt, manure, mulch...) So I started a mini vermicompost system under my bathroom sink (I have hundreds of pet worms! lol) that I hope to help aid my plants this year.

I look forward to reading all the threads I can! lol

Hi,
You have come to the right place. We have all types of gardeners here, some accomplished in contatiner gardening too. You have a nice selection of plants there. You might try arugula, if you like it,and parsley as well. I like the mesclun mixes are good too. They are micro salads ;)
You are off to a great start. We are glad you joined us and look forward to hearing how things are going for you.

Hi there Kokabel and welcome to this friendly garden site.
I really think you are going to enjoy it here

Welcome to plant world! :D There's tons of info here and these guyz even helped me save some roses! And we def need more container gardeners. We had a killer summer last year and I had to change up how I was growing plants. Now mine are mostly in containers and I'll be trying potatoes and garlic that way too. I'll def be watching your posts for any cool ideas. :)

Thanks for the Welcome!

Micro salads are a great idea. I thought I'd start with some basics to see how it goes and keep adding. If they do well that would be spectacular. Fresh salad is wonderful, lol.

Thanks Trax. I'll be waiting to see how your potatoes do in containers too. That was something I think I want to try next year when I'm feeling more comfortable. It's a food we eat regularly, so growing it would be such a money saver over time. :)

Thanks for the Welcome!

Micro salads are a great idea. I thought I'd start with some basics to see how it goes and keep adding. If they do well that would be spectacular. Fresh salad is wonderful, lol.

Thanks Trax. I'll be waiting to see how your potatoes do in containers too. That was something I think I want to try next year when I'm feeling more comfortable. It's a food we eat regularly, so growing it would be such a money saver over time. :)

Totally cool! :) We usually have tomatoes all summer and I pick the cherry ones off the vines. They taste really awesome! And potatoes are sooo easy. Just fill up a bucket with a mix of potting soil and sand and pop the eyes in. I even know one dude who grows them in buckets of perlite and gets tons of spuds!

Garlic's almost as easy but they need a rich potting soil cause they love nitrogen. They also need to be soaked for a few hours in a gallon of water with 1 tbsp of liquid seaweed and 1 tbsp of baking powder first (for fungus probs). Oh, and they need a 18" deep and 12" wide bucket cause they make really deep roots. I love garlic cause I'm totally all over Italian food - especially pizza and calzone, ftw! :D
I'll def be trying out spices/herbs too this year cause I never tried that before. :)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back