Please pray for Randy

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

John, when it comes to berries, I am quite opinionated but I have to concur with Janet. My guess is that if you can grow Boysenberries, you shouldn't have any trouble growing Marionberries. The wild (native) blackberry is part of the Marionberry ancestry too. I'm reluctant to say that the Marionberry is the "best" blackberry there is, but there are many that believe that it is. It was developed for the commercial market so the berry size and yield were major considerations. We do have the long, cool, wet springs which are the ideal climate for berry production. But even if your climate is not ideal does not mean you would not get good berries. If you ask my grand daughter which is her all-time favorite berry, she would respond with Marionberry. The university in Corvalis is always working on agricultural products and the Marionberry is one of its most successful projects. I have Cascade blackberries growing in the back yard and my daughter Fiona says those are the ultimate berry when it comes to blackberry pie. But I wonder if I could taste the difference if I didn't know which was which. I have also used Siskiyou blackberries for making jam, but I won't bother with those any more. They are more prone to developing fungus than the other berries. Obsidian blackberry is another development by the university and comes on a little earlier than the Marionberry. It is a little larger berry and is sweeter, but not quite as tart. As far as public opinion among the people in this state though, the Marionberry reigns supreme.

I'd put the plant in my suitcase! :) "Do you have anything to declare?" I declare my husband is stupid. When MTM and I travel, we always take extra suitcases and shovel b/c I'm always digging up something. "You already have one of those". "Not the same." :) Curbie

Seriously LOL!!! toooo funny..... I do know what you mean.... one time years and years ago when we were very young.....we were up the mountain getting firewood. I found a beautiful peice of wood that had moss growing on it it was stunning! knew exactly where it would go in my garden. I asked hubby to put it in the truck for me and he told me he was not taking up firewood space with an old stump!! :mad: I said I never ask you for things like jewelery or expensive dinners or anything, all I want is a mossy chunk of wood from the forest and you can't do that for me?? Through the years I have gotten all sorts from him, mossy stumps, beautiful rocks, pretty plants he found growing up there..... Lol...

You hit him where it hurt though, Janet. He was smart to capitulate and tote the wood home for you in lieu of opening his wallet. No dummy there. LOL

I am with you girls. I am always clipping this and grabbing that. I now have Tim doing the samething on my behalf. And yes Janet, I would rather have a beautiful plant than omething that is just a thing. I remember where every plant I have , has come from. Well most of them any way ;)

I am a rock collector. I have some sort of thing about rocks. We were in Ireland and I kept picking up rocks. MTM asked," What are you going to do with those?" Uh, unclear but we came home with SO MANY ROCKS! "The extra suitcase is full of rocks, ma'am." MTM said,"She has ROCKS in her HEAD!". I love rocks :) Curbie

John, when it comes to berries, I am quite opinionated but I have to concur with Janet. My guess is that if you can grow Boysenberries, you shouldn't have any trouble growing Marionberries. The wild (native) blackberry is part of the Marionberry ancestry too. I'm reluctant to say that the Marionberry is the "best" blackberry there is, but there are many that believe that it is. It was developed for the commercial market so the berry size and yield were major considerations. We do have the long, cool, wet springs which are the ideal climate for berry production. But even if your climate is not ideal does not mean you would not get good berries. If you ask my grand daughter which is her all-time favorite berry, she would respond with Marionberry. The university in Corvalis is always working on agricultural products and the Marionberry is one of its most successful projects. I have Cascade blackberries growing in the back yard and my daughter Fiona says those are the ultimate berry when it comes to blackberry pie. But I wonder if I could taste the difference if I didn't know which was which. I have also used Siskiyou blackberries for making jam, but I won't bother with those any more. They are more prone to developing fungus than the other berries. Obsidian blackberry is another development by the university and comes on a little earlier than the Marionberry. It is a little larger berry and is sweeter, but not quite as tart. As far as public opinion among the people in this state though, the Marionberry reigns supreme.

Oh that's the reason I asked you about the marionberries, I knew you had definite opinions on berries so I thought I 'd ask the berry oracle personally:D Thanks for enlightening me about the berries, I'm pleased that I can happy I can grow any berry as my climate is a little on the humid side. I appreciate your input Randy:)

You're certainly welcome, John. I have had some help along that line from a friend of mine. He is one of my farmer friends and he was in politics for some years. He was chairman of the agricultural committee. I think I'm wrong. He was chairman of the senate committee on education but was a member in the committee on agriculture. He made me aware of the agricultural department of Oregon State University and kept me posted on at least part of what they were working on. About 40 years ago he gave me several varieties of grapes from there but unfortunately I had to leave those behind when we moved here 12 years ago. I should ask him what input the university had on the present booming grape industry here. In our county alone we have over 200 wineries and the hills are covered with vineyards.

By the way, I spoke with the cardiologist's office a few days ago and even though my heart beat is slow, it is stable so they are not going to do a pacemaker. He gave me the go-ahead though for the gall bladder surgery so I have a consultation on Thursday morning with the surgeon about that.

WOOHOO, RANDY! Who cares if we go slow at our age! I don't even know where the gall bladder is. Nothing like a curb for you. Keep us posted,darlin. Or maybe MF can. Curbz

Randy,

That is encouraging news. None of us likes the idea of surgery but if you feel better after , then it is well worth it.
Here's many prayers for the Dr.s , MF and of course you. We both know you are in good hands from above ;)

Sure am. I am going to try and schedule the surgery for after the 4th of July. Fiona and David are taking a few days off and she needs me to take care of the animals while they are gone. They can't go away if I'm not available.

Listen Randy 'Jam', you are going to be JUST OK b/c nobody messes with our Randy. You do have more than one family. Don't make me come to Oregon again. MaineGal would come just to feed the critters. I have ALL the faith in the Lord that you will be just fine and YOU & MF will make a lot of new friends. Hey, maybe you can get some potato salad from this :) Don't worry ~ Good people become great people! (I don't even know where a gall bladder is so I will shut up :) ) This pep talk has been sponsored by a sincere but total .....curb. Curbz

That's our Randy....always thinking of others. They are very lucky to have you.
Now days that surgery should be zippy do da , lickity split. You'll be good as new in no time ;)

That is the problem of surgery when to schedule it and the recuperating. My husband will have surgery on Aug. 23. This is during the time I am waiting to meet with my supervising teacher for the student teach. but if he puts it off it will be during student teach and I don't want to miss a day of that. So Aug. 23 it is.
I know you will do good in yours and know you are in our prayers.

The surgery is scheduled for the 18th. He said he was going to make four small incisions and if he can do it that way, I will be able to come home the next day. But if he does have to get his hand in there, it will take a larger incision and that will mean I will be in the hospital for almost a week. I'll be glad to get it over with.

Well, you get 'free' meals (sort of). When my sister was in the hospital, we'd share the food. Then, the 4 kids caught on and EVERYBODY would show up to....EAT! I want the applesauce! I'm taking the carrot & celery sticks! Who wants the the dessert? ME! I want the cheese. When my sister was dieing, all we did was EAT her food! We felt like scavengers! My sister had NO INSURANCE so but I DO KNOW, you can order DOUBLE! "Ma'am, we need 2 trays please." Scrambled eggs. Hash browns. Fresh fruit. I thought in the 6 months my sister lived, we all were having a smorgasbord! Enjoy the food, dear Randy :) Curbie

The surgeon told me I would be on regular food the day after the surgery, but I'm not sure what I'll have on the day of surgery. I know I have to go in empty, but not sure when I will get to putting something back in my stomach. Were I a kid, I would probably be yelling for ice cream. But that isn't a good idea with gall bladder issues. I know the gall bladder assists in the digestion of fats or fatty foods. I also know when you have gall bladder issues, those same fats or fatty foods can make you really sick. Not a good idea. I believe that the day of surgery I better get used to the idea of Jello.

Hubby has to report the morning of the 23 of Aug. at 6:30 am. He will be fasting and not taking his medicine that day. It is a day surgery so I will be bringing him home with me. They are going in to look at his carpal tunnel surgery scar to see if they can help his hand. It is a 50/50 chance of helping but without it there is no help. He is dropping things because his hand is numb.

Randy I will be praying the surgery goes good.

Lyn, I'll pray for your hubby. You always look like an idiot going into a hospital and filling out forms. If you can't hold a pen say,"Here~ your turn." Randy, I honestly don't know what to say other than ~" LET THE WOMEN role the roost!" It's worth a try.MTM always says stupid things like,"OOOOohhhhhh, have a pity party for yourself." I can't tell you what comes out of my mouth next. We both will be OK b/c WE are a community. I don't care where anyone lives but we are a support system towards each other. Don't forget it. :) Hugs towards all ~ Curbie

prayers will be said for you Randy for your surgery. I had my gall bladder out 21 years ago, before they did them laprascopically and I had a week long hospital stay and a big scar. When I had surgery on my esophagus 10 years ago, he did it laprascopically through 4 small incisions on my back, he had to collapse one lung to get at it. I still had to stay a week for that one though. but not having a big wound on the outside to heal was nice!
will be praying for your hubby too Lynn :)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back