Suggestions for my new bed needed!!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Tracey

Can anyone suggest other ideas of what to place in this bed?

I ask because we have our Septic Tank area enclosed with railroad ties, we did this to keep people from parking on it. Seems something about the area draws people to want to park there.. The area is about 16x8 and until recently it has been a "Bed of Weeds"...I have always been afraid to plant there for fear when it had to be pumped, the workers would have to dig my bed up completely..Several weeks ago we had a company come out and pump the tank.. All they did was dig a hole in the middle, pull a plug (cover), and then put it back when done... We then put the dirt back over it. While they were here they told me that I can use it as a flower garden. The guy suggested that I just place a bird bath or a good size plant over the plug that way it can be removed for future pumps and put back.

My hubby went to the dirt pit and bought a truckload of Garden Soil.. They told him it was top-soil mixed with compost.. We removed weeds, laid down landscape weed barrier fabric and he put the soil in about 4 or so inches deep. Thinking of adding more soil to build it up a bit more and I'm not opposed to poking holes in the fabric in order to place perrenials that need to set roots.

So now I have a good size Alocasia cucullata, Chinese Taro, in a whiskey barrel planter atop the plug. I moved some different varieties of Elephant Ear to the back side of the bed.. right in the front corner I planted a Manaus Asystasia so it will trail out of the bed... There is a bench under some EE's in a back corner and a big pot of Blackie Sweet Potato vine in the other front corner. I can't really put anything in the ground that will root deeply.. I don't need the roots growing into the septic tank.. --

Forgot to mention. the bed is in the middle of my back yard. There is a huge maple to the east (back of it) so plenty of morning shade. The front of the bed gets full sun from about 2 pm, but the back of the bed is still part shaded by the maple tree for the rest of the day..

What ya think? Any suggestions? Zone 8b.

Thanks...

You may want to consider low impact plants that have shallow roots. Nothing with large woody roots as they will find any crack in the tank or lid and grow right in to the tank.
Having had septic systems all my life I have found that only very shallow rooted plants will work well. I would stick to things like moss roses, marigolds zinnias. Maybe herbs. No shrubs or trees as the roots will find any crack and grow right into the tank.

I'm with CG I would plant annuals or perennials that if the time comes that you have to pump that tank it won't break your heart to lose them. No shrubs or trees. You also want to avoid water seeking roots around your drain lines.
along with CG ideas you might think about sedums, and hens and chicks.

What do you girls think about "clumping" grasses? Do you know if they root deep or shallow?

CB, these are some great ideas, moss roses, marigolds zinnias. Though I don't much about moss roses. Can you give me some insight and info on them?

I want to put a small tree in there but I it will be a potted tree.. I am looking for something that will live happily in a container in full sun to part shade. Not too big. I assume it will only grow to the size of the container it is in.. Hmm.. Lots to think about.

Thanks to both of you.. ;)

btw way I will post pictures as soon as I can..just remember it is a work in progress from scratch. My rechargeable battery for my camera is dead. I have to go buy a new one. SOON!!

K, I will check into it.. I can't see well that little photo on the link, but it almost looks like a sedum..

Tracey,
Clumping grasses have sometimes very deep roots. I would use great caution planting them in that area.
Moss roses are also known as purselane. They are really a succlant ground cover tha will bloom all summer long and sometimes even come back next year. Lowe's and Home Depot both carry them. You really want to use caution even with a potted tree. They will seek water and the root will come out the bottom, before you know it they have rooted to the ground;) A nice potted palm that would work is the Madagascar Palm. They grow slow but come in a couple colors.You would have to bring it in , in the winter.
Butterfy bushes would be nice too.

I have a Madagascar Palm on my patio that I might try out there.. I just found Moss Roses on ebay.. : ) I'm pretty excited about that...

CB, Thanks for the "heads up' about clumping grass. I had no idea..

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back