The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Ok, I'm here to complain. The darn racoon dug under neath the fence and destroyed all but 4 corn stocks last night. The live trap is set.
First it was the groundhog eating my peas, then the deer eating my beans and tomatoes now the coons are in my corn. What a yr. The corn is in an 8' tall fence for the deer and the coons dug under the fence, put a tray over the hole now as it was too hot for me to try to find something to use. Will have to dig some wire down around the fence as I don't think my nephew dug the fence down.

There is a musical that came out on film in the early 50's, I believe, and it was based on James Michener's book "Tales of the South Pacific". Rogers and Hammerstein wrote the musical and it was first done on the live stage in New York. Most of the musical is typical of a New York or Hollywood production. But they put in a song that was way ahead of its time and Rogers and Hammerstein were asked by the producers to remove that sequence from the production, but they refused. I believe the song title is "You've Got To Be Taught". I have listened to that song many times and have been grateful that it was a part of that musical. It is much too involved to get into the plot of the story, but it is worth looking in to and hear the message those two artists put together.

Sorry to hear about your garden, Laurie. I guess 'we' all have to eat and the drought/rain affects many. Where there is food, there is sure to be a critter ~ 'somebody is eating all the blossoms on our squash plant AND my neighbor's jalapeno peppers. These are all on decks/yards in townhouses. ~! C.

One of the fellows from church, a farmer, stopped by last evening and dropped off a dozen ears of sweet corn. I need to check mine today and see if there is any ready to pick. My neighbor from across the road said she was watching it. She has permission to pilfer from my garden though.

WHAT ABOUT US, RM ???? :) :) :) ~ oh, the neighbor gets 'priority pilfering'...is there justice in the world ? :) ~ (Hope Bob/Ron/somebody doesn't run me outta here) ~ :)

Hey, you are welcome to pilfer in my garden. I have told three of my neighbors here they could do so at will, but only one has actually taken me up on it.

Boy, fresh produce and not coming over? Do those others have their own gardens? Being in a t/h, we welcome a fruit stand on the side of a road ~

I think they are like my family and just forget that there is food out there. I can tell the womenfolk that stuff is ready, but they rarely will go out there to pick something. I have to pick it and bring it in and set it on the counter so it's there to remind them.

We took my 6 y/o nephew to pick strawberries once----only once----he walked away, ate so many he passed out and took a nap in the field. Some nice person asked,"Does anybody know who this kid belongs to?" oh....the one asleep on the ground....no..John Andrew, get up ~ HOWEVER, I got lost in a corn field once b/c those corn stalks are VERY tall. Short people should not go into tall places. ~ C.

Oh Curbie they make mazes out of corn fields and all kinds of people get lost. I know that feeling. I learned as a kid not to go in too far cause you can get lost. I learned to pick near the road. lol

So, where were YOU 50 years ago :p......not finding me in a corn ield. I truly was so frightened . Guess groundhogs can't look up and see so they don't mind. 'Pick your Own' has a totally different meaning. I love getting older ~ C.

LB, I suppose if my garden got cleaned out, I wouldn't be so open-handed. But so far it's not been a problem. BTW, it looks like I will be coming down to Granite Bay in October by train. My wife's sister-in-law will be having surgery (carpal tunnel) and my wife and I will go down to help cook, clean house, and take care of the animals for a couple of weeks.

LB, I suppose if my garden got cleaned out, I wouldn't be so open-handed. But so far it's not been a problem. BTW, it looks like I will be coming down to Granite Bay in October by train. My wife's sister-in-law will be having surgery (carpal tunnel) and my wife and I will go down to help cook, clean house, and take care of the animals for a couple of weeks.

I'm jealous...lol
You guys didn't come help me whenI had my surgeries....:)

You guys are the best,Randy! I bet your relatives are very grateful you would come all that way to help out. Looking forward to October!

Good people come from being raised by good people (whole community) so sometimes, when I think," How would my Mom handle this situatoin?" and my husband ducks ~ MY Mom would have hit YOU in the head with the DUSTPAN ~ go get it ~ now..... :)

But Laurie, MF will not fly. Remember, we took the train to Ohio. She offered to let me fly ahead, but I didn't want her traveling alone. Family is pretty important for us and she only has the one brother. I have to say though that he might as well be mine too. But he will need help too as they have a place much like our's but they have more animals than we do. I think they have 6 horses, four dogs, more cats than I can count, a couple of dozen chickens and a bunch of ducks and geese. And they are all free-loaders except the chickens. Connie has roped me into cooking a few meals for them when we go down there anyway, but this next trip, she will have to sit back and just supervise.

I know Randy, just had to give you a hard time about it. It sure would be awesome to have you and MF come visit me but I know I have to be the one to come visit you.
I know how important family is to you. I think it's awesome that you are able to go help them for a few weeks. It will be great for you and MF to be able to spend more time with her brother as you guys dont get to see him as much as you would like.

Mick never did like the idea of us moving away from the Sacramento area. And I can't say that I blame him. When he was still a kid, I would take him with me when I would go hunting or fishing. I started doing that when I observed his Dad griping at him all the time. A kid has to be allowed to make mistakes and do some stupid things if they are going to learn. I don't remember correcting Mick at all, but if I did, I would never talk to him as if he were stupid. The three of us went deer hunting once. After that trip, I would never hunt with MF's Dad again.

We have a beautiful day going on outside today. I will be taking MF to the train station in Salem after lunch. She is going down for Mr. Douglas' memorial service and also to visit with her brother and his wife.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back